Monday, May 30, 2011

Grasshopper Days 5-30-11


Grasshopper Days

For Today, May 30, 2011

Outside my window...  beautiful dogwood blossoms... dripping with rain.  *sigh*

I am thinking...  about all the things I'd like to do.

I am thankful for...  my nutso family ;D

I am praying for...  good decision making, work for Kerry, attentiveness and attitudes for the boys.

I am wearing...  jeans, navy t-shirt, navy sweater.

I am creating...  plans, plans, plans.

I am going...  slowly crazy???   *sigh*   Well, it feels like it anyway.

I am reading...  more Richard Peck, The Teacher's Funeral: A Comedy in Three Parts

I am hearing...  boys running laps around the house, getting some fresh air and exercise.

I am remembering...  what a sunny day looks like.

From the learning rooms...  China's Cultural Revolution, the end of the Berlin Wall and the reunification of Germany, words with sym/syn, solving equations with variables, percents/decimals/fractions, story problems with multiplication and division, what makes a bird a bird, paleontology/archaeology/geology, and still... memorizing... Philippians... 2.....

From the kitchen...  lots of leftovers from the weekend.  Time to thaw out another turkey.

Around the house...  I am feeling in a rut.  Must do something about all our books.  Those of you with large home libraries - how do you organize them?

On my mind...  how fast the boys are growing up.  Very bittersweet.

Noticing that...  the boys are working more independently :D

Pondering these words...
 Thought breeds thought; children familiar with great thoughts take as naturally to thinking for themselves as the well-nourished body takes to growing;
 - Charlotte Mason 

One of my favorite things...  orderly spaces, ahhhhhhh :D

A few plans for the rest of the week...  the boys are hoping to go see Pirates 4, in 3D.  Maybe even in Seattle, on the big IMAX screen.

Here is a picture I am sharing...
Memorial Day... remember.

5 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

Wish you could send some of your rain our way!
Blessings,
Ava

melanie said...

Sent you an email with my blather about our home library...

I'm so with you on your fave things ~ "You can't clean clutter" :p

Anonymous said...

We have roughly 2,500 books in our library. Right now, they are alpha by general subject. Art, Craft, Deaf, English, Family, Finance, Gardening, History (ordered by rough chronology), Home, Math, etc.

Literature has it's own cases and those are alpha by author. Theology also has it's own case.

One of the things I'd like to do after thinning out the collection (not a substantial thinning, though) is to get all the books entered into librarything.com. Librarything will then give me a list and we'll put the books in Library of Congress order.

Librarything will also sort by Dewey for you, but I'm not a fan of Dewey and don't want him in my home. :)

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Thanks for the library ideas!

Q - cracking up about Dewey. Don't like his philosophy, but I don't mind his organizational system ;D

tammy said...

Love dogwoods, hate what they do to my family. Poor babies are all watery eyed and runny nosed! Boo to all these Spring allergies!

L-O-V-E your shared picture.