Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Brain Dump

It's been awhile since I've done this.  A brain dump.  Rather like downloading a few of the thoughts that have been rattling around between my ears.  And I have to tell you right up front, the last few days have been... a little weird.  But then, what else is new? ;D

In fact, I feel like I need to make a few announcements to the unmatched-chromosomes I live with, so here we go.

1.  About paint.  When you're cleaning out the garage and spill paint on a pair of jeans that don't yet have any holes in them, immediate action needs to be taken.  And by immediate action I don't mean wadding them up in a ball and leaving them in the laundry basket.

2.  About spray starch.  Attention zealous iron-ers: I applaud your budding interest in looking neat and tidy for CAP and the effort you're expending to have those crisp creases in your uniforms.  However.  If any more overspray gets on the bathroom floor OSHA isn't going to let me in there to do any more laundry.  That stuff is slick, so watch your aim.

And speaking of the bathroom...

3.  About the toilet.  A clogged toilet overflows on the second flush, so slow down and think before you pull that lever again.  Every day I'm thankful for the wonder of modern plumbing, but boys - it's not magic.  There are limits.  Don't push your luck.

On to other things...

4.  Two of my three boys now wear men's sizes.  That is hard for me to believe, but it's true.

5.  Underwear.  I remember when the boys each potty-trained.  Wouldn't you?  I mean, that's a milestone.  We had a party for each of them (a poopy party) and they got to go to the store and pick out their own underwear.  Because let me tell you, little-boy underwear is pretty cute.  We had tighty-whities with space ships, insects, heavy equipment, and all manner of things on them.  And I thought those days were long gone.  But lo and behold, Fruit of the Loom makes camo underwear.  In men's sizes.  Which was a (small) thrill for one of the young men in this house.

6.  A question.  I have to wonder, what is the purpose of camouflage underwear?  I mean, I understand wearing camo for hunting, or military purposes.  But just what exactly is the scenario that calls for camouflage underwear?  Maybe it's better we don't answer that.

7.  Figgers of speech.  That's what Gunnar calls idioms and expressions.  He's ten - nearly eleven - and has a wonderful vocabulary, but every once in awhile he mispronounces things.  Sometimes it's kind of cute ("What in carnation?") but somehow I doubt the BUDK company appreciates you 'reading' their name as a word, which I don't think it is.  And it catches me off guard when you ask me when that order from buttock is coming.

8.  Morning.  I've been getting up earlier lately.  I used to be the early riser of the family, but Tate - the usurper - has pulled ahead.  (And good for him.  He gets himself up at 6am, reads his Bible, exercises, and studies for CAP, all before breakfast.)  I'm out to reclaim my title (and my quiet time) and have been setting the alarm for 5:45.

9.  More about morning.  However.  There's this thing about morning.  It comes early.  And sometimes I'm not quite awake, even though I'm up.  And let me tell you something else, Freesia scented body splash and leave-in-hair-conditioner come in the same size spritz bottles but have an entirely different effect when you spray them down the inside of your shirt.  And that is all I have to say about getting up early.

Because I really need to go to bed.

11 comments:

Crystal in Lynden said...

*giggle* Hope you are sleeping now and good morning to you when you wake up.

Felicity said...

I enjoyed this Julie!
I have a son who wears almost the same size shirts as my husband - the other day I hung my son's shirt in my hubby's cupboard... it looked rather funny when he tried it on!

And camo undies.... good question!

Anonymous said...

o my hat, the description of the body spritz has me falling around laughing....what an image :o))

The Hibbard Family said...

Reading that was an absolutely awesome way to start my morning. I haven't laughed that hard in a while! Thanks! :-)

Anonymous said...

As for #6, LA LA LA we don't need to know!!! :)

Wilma said...

I have had the spray starch experience also!

Years ago, deodorant came in tubes like toothpaste. My dad who had to be at work very early found himself with toothpaste under his arms. It was a good laugh and better than deodorant in his mouth!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, Wilma, toothpaste! That's hilarious! So his armpits were minty-fresh :D

Kim said...

Oh how I love your brain dumps!! You had me laughing with pretty much every one. With three boys in the house myself I am taking notes.

Ruby said...

Another fun week at the Grasshopper House!
The Anonymous commenter above used an expression which gave my family a lot to laugh about just yesterday, "O my hat!" Apparently that is used by very old people with strange vocabs....like me.

Choate Family said...

Oh, we have got to find some way to connect in person with you while we are on furlough. I love the way you look at life!

Rebecca D said...

I haven't laughed this hard in so long! I am literally crying! Thanks for the laugh!!!!