Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Grasshopper Days... or a Brain Dump


Grasshopper Days

For today, Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Sort of.  Because I really thought I was going to pull it together and post over the weekend, because so much was going on, but it just didn't happen.  I just sort of threw some things in here to sort out later.  You ever do that?  Or just me?

Outside my window...  heavy equipment working in two or three places around the neighborhood.  Everyone is suddenly in a rush to finish their projects because of the w@tershed n@zis.  As much as I love our neighborhood and MOST of our neighbors, the moonbat crazy liberals here are trying really hard to create a culture of ratting out your neighbors if you even suspect they might be doing something that might conflict with the ridiculously restrictive w@tershed regulations.  Like not having more than a certain number of square feet of exposed DIRT from the beginning of October until the end of May.  Because we all know how terrifyingly toxic DIRT is.  *eyes roll*

Hearing...  the aforementioned heavy equipment.  Lovely.

Pondering...  fortunately we are (I think?) finished with the rock wall portion of the project...





... and need to complete the leveling of the place above the rock wall.  To keep from being fined (because DIRT!), after we scatter grass seed around we'll need to cover it all with straw.  Not a big deal, and cheap.

Praying...  that Tate will speak up for himself at school when needed - the teachers all met with us and seem willing to work with him, but they'll forget things, and they can't hear what Tate hears... the teacher can't hear that his necktie is rubbing against the microphone and making a scratchy sound, or the teacher forgets to turn off the mic when he's talking quietly with another student, etc.

Thankful...  Wyatt and I had a good time at the WCC orientation yesterday.  And look!  He won a prize!  Just by asking a question!  Totally made his day, and made him very popular with his table group ;D


Wearing...  blue capris and a light blue t-shirt.  Kind of cool today.

Going...  to have a check-up today (oh joy).

Looking forward to...  fall colors :D

In the kitchen...  it's pizza day (and there was much rejoicing).

In the learning rooms...  Oh.  My.  Word.  Gunnar got to bed at a decent time, but he is languishing today.  Trying to keep him moving is like pushing rope up hill.  *sigh*

Around the house...  books, books, and more books.  And some sunflower garlands on the windows :D

The Mother Load...  yikes, the list is growing.  Hoping for a productive weekend with the minions - should be good weather!  We need to:
* finish the flat area above the rock wall (dirt, grass seed, straw)
* remove, wash, and store all the window screens
* take everything out of the "garden" shed and store the picnic table and the lawn furniture (fit it all back in)
* work in the garden
* deal with the tomatoes... All. The. Tomatoes.
* get rid of the grapevine - it's pulling its supports away from the garage wall and doesn't produce useful grapes for us... just a lot of purple bird poop on the cars and driveway
* and I'm sure there's more!

Noticing that...  the boybarians all had jobs last weekend, which is a great thing.  Wyatt and Tate are doing some yard work for an elderly neighbor, and Gunnar had a babysitting job Saturday (seven hours) and Sunday afternoon (3 1/2 hours) watching six year old twins - he did great!  I love it when they have WORK!

Something to remember...  I'm not allergic, but I have a little phobia about bees/wasps/etc.


Something fun to share...  for the boys.


A favorite quote...  NOT for my friends at Wiser Lake, but memories from before...

Worship leaders, if you keep making that face when you sing, it will stay like that in heaven.

                        - the Church Curmudgeon

One of my favorite things...  crossing things off my list!

A few plans for the rest of the week...  I'm teaching Sunday School this year.  Now that my boys are all getting older I'm not so done in by the end of the week.  And doesn't it sound fun to work with the younger kids?  Somehow I got the idea I would have a little class of Kindergarteners to second graders - school-age kids, emerging readers.  But I must not have listened closely, because what I actually have is age 3 - 8, heavy on the preschoolers.  That's all fine and it will work out, but I have a little re-planning to do!  Of the eight kids that came this week, I have two girls and six boys - WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE!

A peek into my world...  well, only in the broad sense of "world"!  Gunnar pointed out this photo to me, of a volcano in Iceland.  He thought it looked like something from Lord of the Rings - like Sauron in Mordor.


Happily, around HERE looks more like...


... this view from the boys' window last night.  I knew I couldn't hand-hold it still enough, but Tate thought it was so beautiful he begged me to try. The moon is nearly full and was reflecting off the lake.  Meanwhile, a car drove by, under the orange streetlight.  Kind of cool :D

2 comments:

Monica said...

Yep you better get that nasty dirt covered up! :) What are these people thinking?!
Your rock wall looks great! They did a terrific job! And omgoodness! I have 6 year old twin nephews and I am scared to death to be alone with those little boogers! :) Gunnar is very brave!
I too teach the 3-8 year olds in my church. We started our new "fall" curriculum on Sunday. It was great fun!
The moon is gorgeous! I took one of it this morning still hanging in the western sky! HUGE!
Enjoyed your hilarious daybook!

Sara McD said...

The wall looks terrific. I have a thing for rock walls - I think it influenced our decision to buy the house we're in now.