Monday, March 16, 2015

Grasshopper Days



Grasshopper Days


For today... Monday, March 16, 2015

Outside my window...  see the pics above?  We never got any snow this year.  I give up.  But it's not as "springy" yet as the second pic.  Glad to be headed that direction, though.  Yesterday was so dark and rainy (a perfect day to be inside), and now today is bright and sunny again... at least for the moment.  Spring is very changeable.  We'll take what we can get - like these beautiful blossoms up the street ;D


Hearing...  listening to Vivaldi's Concerto for Mandolin in C Major.

Pondering...  what in the world?  It wasn't even a full moon or anything, but the kiddos in my Sunday school class we're just about bouncing off the walls yesterday!  What's up with that?

Praying...  for the boys in their schoolwork, for everyone to stay well, to flow smoothly through the week's work, for our friends in Myanmar and the Solomon Islands, and - as always -  work for Kerry, Wyatt, and Tate.

Thankful...  for a fun time with friends this weekend, pies for Pi Day, and I started estimating what fabric I need for the next quilt... just some navy blue, I have everything else.  I think ;D

Wearing...  my walking-with-Gunnar "grubs" - about to shower and put on civilized clothes, you know... blue jeans, a t-shirt, and the purple sweater I picked up at Value Village recently - love it :D

Creating...  HA!  Not because of St. Patrick's Day, but about to start an Irish Chain.

Going...  to rehearsal tonight - just two more and then the concerts, and then a break.

Looking forward to...  enjoying celebrating my parents this weekend :D

In the kitchen...  I made a huge batch of stew this weekend and there's enough leftover to have for dinner tonight (easy, since I have rehearsal), and then the boys have CAP on Tuesday, so I'm taking it easy until Wednesday :D  The boys want me to make more homemade bread.  It's not that hard, it just takes so long to rise that I forget to get it going in time.  They LOVE challah bread.


In the learning rooms...  Tate works so independently that I often lose track of what he's doing until it's time to review for a test with him - he does so well!  Gunnar is converting standard-to-metric and metric-to-standard measurements, leading up to WW1 in World History, and learning about digestion in science.  We did a great (gross) experiment this morning with chewed up saltines (comparing physical digestion with chemical digestion).  Cool ;D

Around the house...  my neighbor gave me some forsythia - so bright and cheery!  But I don't think it will last long indoors.  I'll enjoy it while I can.

The Mother Load...  it's not overwhelming, but I have quite a few ducks to keep in a row this week, mostly party-related! Guests, flowers, special dessert, etc.  All fun things, plus the usual round of homeschool, CAP, music lessons, etc.

Noticing that...  while Gunnar and I were walking this morning we saw a couple of woodpeckers.  These two were easy to find because they were making so much noise!  One was on top of a metal streetlight, and the other was on a metal chimney cap, drumming away!  No, they're not stupid.  They know the difference between that and wood (where they find bugs to eat), but they also drum to claim territory and to attract mates, and - you know - it's spring...

Boy were they LOUD!  I wonder what it sounded like inside the house, with one drumming on the metal chimney cap!

 A favorite quote for today...  If you always tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
 -Mark Twain

One of my favorite things...  spring's explosion of life!

A devotional thought...  apparently President Harry Truman carried this prayer (which he wrote when he was baptized) in his wallet.

Oh! 
Almighty and Everlasting God,
Creator of Heaven, Earth, and the Universe:
Help me to be, think,
to act what is right,
because it is right;
make me truthful,
honest and honorable in all things;
make me intellectually honest
for the sake of right and honor
and without thought of reward to me.
Give me the ability to be charitable, forgiving,
and patient with my fellow men -
help me to understand their motives
and their shortcomings -
even as Thou understandeth mine!


A peek into my world...  by my back door...


1 comment:

Monica said...

Yes, health and work for the guys! The midwest has had a lot of very cold temps, a couple of measurable snow falls (several days out of school). I am ready to start seeing some blossoms! The grass is beginning to green up in spots. It won't be long now and I will be getting the gardens going! Yahoooo! :)