Friday, March 23, 2018

It Was Not My Best Day

In December, Kerry's dad and his wife came to visit.

It was not my best day.  (Not their fault!)

Our oven was being kind of fluky.  Sometimes it would take FOREVER to get hot.  Well, the morning of That Day the oven did get hot.  And when the oven gets hot, you bake.  We had various Christmas events coming, so I got busy...

I think I baked seventeen loaves of bread (small), a ginger "bread" for dessert, and then mixed up fifteen pounds of meatballs, figuring most would go into the freezer and the last batch that went in the oven would be for dinner.

Meanwhile, Burke and Mary arrived earlier than expected (I guess I didn't really need a shower), the plumbing backed up (emergency!), and about the time I slid the last tray of meatballs into the oven, it completely gave up the ghost.

So while the emergency plumber dropped by and sorted out the drains, I was dancing around him in the kitchen, preparing a curried bulgur side dish, and discovering that the meatballs were... raw.  Dinner was about an hour late (thank heaven meatballs can be cooked on the stove top!), Burke and Mary were gracious about the whole thing, and Kerry was just about dying of embarrassment.  Because, you know, Mr. Successful Architect's home is going to pieces around us.

It was not his best day. (Not his fault!)

These things happen.

In shocking news, I didn't get any photos of that visit.  You'll have to use your imagination.

Then, just to add to the fun, Burke and Mary went on to Kerry's brother and SIL's to stay and visit with them and his brother's sons. SIL apparently came down with something horrible that involved much vomiting in the night. Early the next morning they (and grandsons) scattered, like cockroaches when the light comes on.

It was not her best day.  (Not her fault!)

We're all giving it another try this weekend.  Burke and Mary arrive in a few hours for dinner, and we're all hoping things go just a bit more smoothly this time around.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Choate Family said...

I do love your sense of humor!!!