Monday, June 16, 2008

Always working the angles

We gave Grandpa a ride home from the party yesterday. As we pulled into town, about 10:30pm, he commented on the gifts he'd received, and mentioned some caramels.

Wyatt perked right up.

"Can I have one, Grandpa?"

I told him those were Grandpa's Father's Day present.

Wyatt didn't miss a beat.

"Well, I'm a future father!"


This is the same child who, at the age of three had this little exchange after dinner at Grandpa and Grandma's one night:

Grandma had served some cookies and Wyatt was told he could have two, which he promptly ate. But Kerry's cookie, sitting on the plate next to Wyatt's, was -apparently - too much temptation to bear. When Kerry was busy talking, Wyatt calmly reached over, picked up the cookie, bit out a chunk, and set it back down on his own plate.

Kerry finally noticed and looked over at Wyatt. "Hey! That's my cookie!"

Without any delay Wyatt answered coolly, "Well, it has my bite in it."

No comments: