Thursday, October 7, 2010

To Do, Today...

Some days the Mother Load seems enormous.

We had a Special Activity on Monday that began at 8am and didn't end until 11pm, so - you can imagine - we started our school week rather slowly and late.  Um, that's an understatement.  Tuesday felt like pushing a rope uphill.  Through molasses.  There were tears.  There was whining.  There was grumpiness.  There was much unfinished work.  And there were raging, raging hormones.  (The Boy's.  And possibly some of mine.  Just possibly.) 

And by lunch-time Wyatt owed me seventy-five (seventy-five!) sentences,  and I am letting him work off some of them, if he will actually do the work.

And the sun was shining, and we know that can't last long.  And there were leaves to be raked, and apples to be made into applesauce.  And sometimes Real Work is more important than School Work.  (*Gasp!*)  And that's what happened.

So now it's Thursday, but it feels like Wednesday, and I feel like I'm still trying to crawl out from under it all.


Ugh.

And I cooked a turkey yesterday, which is a good thing.  But on turkey days... by the end of the day I'm on Sage Overload, and I think if I get one more whiff of sage my nose might leave my body, to go in search of other aromas, so there will be no turkey leftovers today.  I want to make pies, but it will have to wait a day or two.

And there are four weeks left of soccer, and I am already getting perky emails about the all-important end-of-the-season party.

While I applaud planning ahead and being frugal, I couldn't help but be boggled at the suggestion that we "just do something at the field, after the last game".  Which falls on October 30th.  (Are they new here?!)  Because by October 30th, anything we do at the field will most likely involve huddling with our backs to the wind and rain, ankle-deep mud, and multiple layers of Gore-tex and polar-fleece.  Or hypothermia, take your pick.

And the bills need to be paid, the kitchen floor needs desperately to be mopped, the boys' beds need fresh sheets, there's work to do in the flower beds before winter, and... I'm sure there's more.

So, among other things, I haven't had much time lately for visiting my favorite blogs.  


And it's 79 days until Christmas.


In case you were wondering.

11 comments:

Cathy M. said...

Just reading that stressed me out. I need to take a drive in the country listening to blue grass now. Meanwhile, you need to get busy-- slacker.

Felicity said...

Hi Julie - hope you survive all of this! You sound like you've really had a busy time.
Strangely enough, I've never cooked turkey, and only eaten it once! We don't get them much around here, except at Christmas time.
As we say here, in Afrikaans - "Sterkte" (which means, Strength!)

Tina Marie said...

Um...well...you see...I mopped the floor...that;t it. I didn't even cook dinner because on Thursday, the Chicken man drives into our village and sells rotisserie chicken out of his truck.

In your honor, I will do work...tomorrow. It's midnight here.

melanie said...

Will you hit me if I'm laughing?

Where's your cape, Super Mom? ♥

As for me, I finally got my atlas adjustment this eve.. So we're gonna have some formerly-frozen pizza for supper (yes, it's late) and then I'm going to bed! and NOT sit here and undo it immediately ...and NOT ask how many days "we" are behind with the high school subjects. So there.

G'night & Sweet dreams to you!

heather west said...

pfffffffffffff!!!! Is that all? What are you complaining about?!?!? Ha! Ha! Just kidding!!! I found your opening funny because my friend and I were JUST talking about this similar experience about an hour ago. We were talking about how the hours between 8 and 2:30/3 MUST be spent at home (that is if you homeschool). Anytime a 'special activity' gets thrown in between that time, it messes up EVERYTHING! Oh, and I can so relate to the 'cheery' end of the year sports parties. My sympathies. . .

Ruby said...

You can be forgiven for not reading blogs, you have a life:-) Seventy-five sentences - cut the lad some slack!!! That would take my guys a very long time. I like the work it off idea.
Have a good weekend, Julie. Oh, see it's Friday night here.

Choate Family said...

Praying for you and your crew in between the giggles you inspired. Hang in there!

melanie said...

You need something else to do, I'm sure ~ SO please stop by and pick up a bloggy award! ♥

http://outofthemiryclay.blogspot.com/2010/10/blogger-fun.html

Anonymous said...

This is how my last three weeks have felt.

There are little moments in which I feel incredible amounts of joy...but it seems like it doesn't take long to feel the clouds of the mother load covering up that sunshine.

Now listen, you need to be strong here, and get some work done, because you are like my mentor, and if you're gettin' behind, then who am I going to look up to???

The dB family said...

Ha, no worries, my friend! I'm drowning here too! I totally feel your pain. I'm so behind on reading what my favorite people have to say, I dare not even blog! Maybe by the end of this week :o)....

Blessings!
Deborah

Sharla said...

We sure have weeks like that around here!

Your reminder about Christmas stressed me out too!!!