Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Was That Really Just One Day?

Because, really, it has seemed like two or three.

I'm just sayin'.

Everything was discombobulated.  Not bad, just half a bubble off level, like us.

We didn't have our normal routine going on because Gunnar was invited to a birthday party this morning, from 9:30 to 11:30.  You know, with a bunch of weird, unsocialized homeschoolers, like us.  Who had the run of the model train museum, and got to 'drive' all the model trains, and how cool is that?! (Um, I'm kidding about the weird part.  You knew that, right?)

But even before that, I was on the phone with a good friend.  Her older son (about Wyatt's age) had some suspiciously familiar symptoms... and so we had his younger brother here for much of the day while the older brother had his appendix out. (Which was fun for the boys, and no trouble at all.)

And let me tell you, when I took the younger brother in to the hospital this evening to see his older brother come out of surgery I kept running into people... first the surgeon who removed Tate's appendix came by.  And did a double-take.  I assured her that my boys were all fine and I was here with friends.  Then I repeated that conversation with two of the surgery nurses and two of the Peds nurses.  Yes, thank you, I'm just visiting this time.  And oh-so-happy to be going home to my own bed and my own healthy boys.  Thank you, Lord.

Oh, but let me back up... you know what Kerry's first words to me were this morning, at 6:30AM

"Uh, you know I have a meeting at 9:30, right?"   

Right.  Because I'm psychotic psychic.  And this meeting matters because, you see, Kerry's office is not-to-be-seen by anyone that isn't closely related, so client meetings happen around the dining room table.  Yah.

And a good morning to you, too!

Had to call a quick, family blitz.  Hallelujah the boys are used to this, and actually very helpful.  In about 30 minutes we got all the stinky garbage and recycling out, (it had piled up in the mudroom because it was so windy the last couple of nights), got the dishwasher loaded up and running, vacuumed the living room and dining room, dusted, swept and mopped the kitchen and mudroom, packed up the 1000-piece puzzle (that had about 20 pieces left to complete - darn it!), picked up guitars and several piles of books from around the living room and dining room, and just had time to do a quick swipe around the bathroom.  Whew.

Then we did what school we could, had a brief celebratory visit by Gramma Grasshopper (whose stress fracture has healed and she can say goodbye to the wheelchair - WOOT!), got Gunnar to and from soccer practice, got the bills paid and in the mail (just a couple days late...), and I'm probably missing something.  Or a few things, more likely.  But there you have it.

Was that really just one day?

5 comments:

Ruby said...

Good thing you know how to Blitz, hey!

Anonymous said...

No, I'm pretty sure you simply forgot to go to bed and had a 48 hour day.

So pleased to hear about the healed fracture!

Cathy M. said...

There you go again, making me feel really slothful. Train museum? Wow, that sounds fun!

leah said...

Sometimes one single day feels like a week! Thank goodness you have the housecleaning blitz down pat, lol!

I hope the meeting went well and I'm sure Gunnar loved his birthday party (anything with trains sounds awesome to me)!

The dB family said...

Whew! Did you meet yourself coming, or going :o)? I'm sure you happily fell into bed last night!

Blessings!
Deborah