Monday, December 20, 2010

And It Came To Pass...



We know the plot, and we know the characters.

Mary.  Joseph.  A baby.  Shepherds.  Wise men.  An evil king.  And angels.  A host of angels.

And we know all their lines.  In fact, though we all use more modern translations, many of us still mentally narrate this story in the old King James words.

And it came to pass
the city of David
great with child
the days were accomplished
she should be delivered
her firstborn son
in swaddling clothes
in a manger
no room for them in the inn
shepherds abiding in the field
keeping watch over their flocks
by night
And lo, the angel of the Lord
the glory of the Lord
shone round about them,
 and they were sore afraid
Fear not!
Good tidings
of great joy
to all people
And suddenly
a multitude
heavenly host
Glory to God!
the babe, lying in a manger

And I think, of all the stories in Bible,
this one is best told by children.

Mine were happy to help.
A wise man with his myrrh, Herod-the-king, and a shepherd.

 An adorable shepherd, accessorized by his craft-clever Sunday School teacher.

I love how all the kids participate.
From the preschool 'stars', who twinkle enthusiastically...

... and are sometimes overwhelmed with the attention they're receiving...

... to the primary shepherds...

...and angels
 

... and the middle grade wise men, and Mary and Joseph...
 

... and Herod, who is enjoying having his Wise Man brother bow down to him.

 And even the high-schoolers, pictured at the top, narrating,
and Away-in-a-manger-ing with the little ones.

Now it really feels like Christmas.

6 comments:

leah said...

Oh my goodness, I want to go to your church! What a beautiful Christmas pageant!

I love modern translations for every day use (I still want to get The Message version of the Bible), but nothing beats the King James version of the birth of Christ.

Merry Christmas, Grasshopper family!

The dB family said...

Yes! My favorite part of the Christmas season. Our play was VERY short but sweet this year, really only consisting of a song, but it was precious nonetheless.

Blessings!
Deborah

melanie said...

Love those beards =)>

And, while I'm thinking of Bible memory, I must tell you that my DD is so thankful for your first-letter-of-every-word help ~ it works for her! Thank you!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Melanie - glad the initial-memory thing is helping... it helps me too!

Leah - I bought a Message New Testament and was... underwhelmed. Maybe it just feels too "slangy" for me - like it might feel out-dated in a hurry? I usually use NIV, but I'm thinking my next Bible will be an ESV.

If you want to "try them out" and see how they read, there's a site called Bible Gateway (www.Biblegateway.com) that has many, many versions you can read for free. Very helpful site for finding verses when you only remember a fragment. (But maybe that's just me!)

Merry Christmas :D

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love the Christmas message as in the Story of our Savior's birth - coming as a baby to earth to be OUR king!!!! AND - yes - I love how the Chapel gives us this story told each year - all participating!!!! Your pictures are great!!!!! So happy to be a part of this great family. lv to all of u - PB&j

Jena Webber said...

Adorable!! Love the Nativity pageants at this time of year.