Monday, June 9, 2014

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days


For today, Monday, June 9, 2014

Outside my window...  a few clouds drifting in with patches of blue.

Hearing...  a breeze rustling the leaves, a few birds singing, and squirrels chasing each other around.

Pondering...  in-laws visiting tomorrow.

Praying...  
- God's comfort and peace for the family of the man we've been praying for (died last week) - they're a wonderful testimony of faith, but it still hurts
- for Wyatt to hang in there one more week of school and finish strong
- continued work for Kerry

Thankful...  
- Kerry has had lots of work the last couple of months!
- plans are coming together for the boys' activities this summer
- a string of sunny days to get outside chores done

Wearing...  capri jeans, navy tee, blue crocs (slippers)

Creating...  working on a new baby quilt - can't show it yet.

Going...  to wrap/bag/organize gifts for the big party Saturday.  My family has four dads to honor and seven June birthdays - SEVEN!  It's like Christmas in June.

Reading...  just read a quick autobiography of author/illustrator Bill Peet - fun and interesting.  (Our favorite Bill Peet book is Cappyboppy).

Learning...  I do not particularly enjoy making a whole ton of itty-bitty half-square triangles.  Glad THAT part of the quilt is done.

Looking forward to...  


... a getaway this fall.  Kerry and I just had our 20th anniversary, but since it fell the week after Tate's surgery, well... I was confident that things would go well, but I just didn't feel right about planning to be gone right afterwards, y'know?  And summer is so crazy, why not fall?  I booked us three nights in the little town of Winthrop - over on the dry side of the Cascades.  My parents will keep an eye on the boys (I know they're big enough to leave alone, but they'd probably eat pizza three meals a day and nothing else.  Ice cream, maybe.)  Anyway, I'll relax more knowing that everything is covered on the home-front.

Sorry, the pic isn't very clear, but LOOK AT THAT.  Gunnar asked me what we were going to do.  See, I'd be happy to take a couple good books and just sit there swinging in the autumn sunshine, listening to the river go by, and reading.

In the kitchen...  leftovers for dinner tonight.  I cooked a couple of little roasts down over the weekend and made pulled pork - yum!

In the learning rooms...  ummm, not much.  Gunnar and I have a little bit of reading to finish.  That's it.  Wyatt, on the other hand, needs to finish up his chemistry and some economics.

Around the house...  Gunnar wants to move the furniture :D

The Mother Load... oh gracious.  I made a big, poster-size, weekly calendar that shows the whole summer.  As if that makes it easier to deal with.  Sort of.  Here's one thing I'll tell you about CAP:
FORMS
They love their forms.  For the boys to go to their overnight activity last weekend?  Five pages.  Can you imagine what they need for a week of encampment?  Ugh.  

Noticing that...  The days are so very looooong :D  Light before 5am, and the birds know it.

Something fun to share...  Gunnar has REALLY enjoyed his weekly babysitting job this school year - hope that works out again next year!

A favorite quote for today...  from the very elusive creator of Calvin and Hobbes...


One of my favorite things...  food cooked on the BBQ.

A Bible verse...  Therefore we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.  For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.  So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
2 Corinthians 4:16-18

A few plans for the rest of the week...  work the Mother Load - forms, organizing, sewing, weeding, cleaning... it's a thrill a minute ;D

A peek into my world...  the colors of summer, right above my driveway :D


3 comments:

Monica said...

Our skies have been so dreary and cloudy for about a week now. hardly any sunshine at all! (blah, I don't mean to complain but really?)
Your fall vacation seems heavenly to me as well! Our 25th is coming up but I think we are going to wait until fall and slip away too. Summer is just so busy on the farm.
Great quote! But these crazy days I am almost asleep before I even get in bed! :) LOL!
As always I enjoyed my visit with you! Hope you have a great (rewarding) week!

RogersUIO said...

Enjoy those long summer nights for me! Here on the equator, it's 12 hours of dark and 12 hours of sun all year long. That doesn't make for good sweet-corn growing at all. (I'm an Iowa girl and I think that's the thing I miss most, other than people.) Congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary -- enjoy your vacation later this year!

Rebecca D said...

Yay for getaways! I loved having ours to look forward to! (Going on it was pretty great too!)

I love your idea about the poster/calendar... Our schedule is so jam-packed I think it would be a good idea for us too!