Friday, February 20, 2009

The Re-Weirds of Parenting


Two things for today...

1. I love that my boys get excited about company. And it's not like we're so isolated that having company is rare. Doesn't matter. You come over to our house and you are a celebrity. Depending on the time of day and the weather, they will either be glued to a window or in a tree in the yard, awaiting your arrival. They will probably talk your ear off for the first few minutes, because they're so excited you've come to see them.

2. Life is exciting. Gunnar, in particular, is very expressive. Well, dramatic - for better and for worse. He's continually telling me things like they are amazing new discoveries. When he was 4 years old:

Mom! Bats can't see well at night, so they use echolocation.
(That was before speech therapy, so it came out like, "Mom! Bats can't see weh-ow at night, so they use echo-whoa-CAY-shun.")

Mom! Do you know how ants communicate? By smell!

Mom! Bees! Communicate! By dancin'!!!

Reminds me of Tate's epiphany, at the ripe old age of 3 1/2. Having been exposed to Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber all his life, I just assumed that he "got it." But one day he came dashing into the kitchen, his eyes as big as saucers, and said triumphantly,

"Mom! Veggie-tales are all FOOD! Talkin' FOOD!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Priceless memories, Amen? Good thing you write all this down!

Kristen@nosmallthing said...

That's awesome! It's funny how we figure the kids just know everything (like that veggie tales are vegetables).

He sounds like a smart little guy.

And my kids are the same with company..."how many more minutes until they get here?" is what I hear all.day.long. Love it.

The dB family said...

Parenting is definitely fun! We keep a book of all the funny things the kids say and do -- when we remember to write it down right away that is.

Love the Veggie Tales comment. I can never think about the Jericho story without picturing the "bad guys" throwing milkshakes over the wall.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

It's a good thing to laugh at/with our kids. Keeps us all sane :0)

And, Deborah, I think that's one of my all-time favorite episodes. The Monty Python-ish French Peas' defense of Jericho!

Kristen, I love reading your kid-stories too :0)

And Denise, unfortunately I probably miss nine tenths of it... but I catch what I can.