Monday, February 9, 2009

Simple Woman #5


FOR TODAY February 9, 2009

Outside My Window... Another clear sunny day, more fresh snow in the hills around the lake, and the squirrels are running around on my roof… I can hear them.

I am thinking... about our eventful day at church, yesterday. Usually I come home from church with a glow, feeling challenged, convicted, inspired, encouraged, “fellowshipped up”, etc. :0) But yesterday we came out with a bit of an adrenaline rush.

Our pastor is away and the elders have been capably filling in. However, yesterday one of them passed out, right up front. He’d missed a couple of words in the Bible reading and I immediately thought he was having a stroke. His wife was right in front of me and nearly leaped over the pew in front of her. The woman at the piano, a medical doctor, was immediately at his side, and apparently he just fainted. He went down like a big fir tree, and narrowly missed whacking his head on the wooden railing. He seems to be okay – just sore from the fall.

Another elder picked up the Bible reading, where he left off, which was all too fitting –

1 Corinthians 12:12-27, one body, many parts. “If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.” No kidding.

I am thankful for... the episode with The Tooth being over, and Wyatt’s quick recovery.

From the learning rooms... Wars and Weapons! Aaahhh, it’s boy heaven. We’re studying the 100 Years War this week. And making Valentines :0)

From the kitchen... dinner tonight – sweet and sour chicken, with brown rice, and those little crunchy noodles.

I am wearing... jeans, yet again, and a blue turtleneck (with two layers under it).

I am creating... the sequel to the OCD quilt. I’m enjoying this one, and it’s nearly done. I’ll post a pic after I finish.

I am going... nowhere fast!

I am reading... a biography of Gladys Aylward, with the boys.

I am hoping... Kerry finds more work. Soon. And we’re not just hoping, we’re praying :0)

I am hearing... silence, blessed silence. The boys are in bed and probably asleep.

Around the house... dust and clutter. This is what happens when I do a project! But when this quilt is done, the sewing stuff is going away for awhile.

One of my favorite things... Okay, bear with me here for a moment, and this will make sense.

Gunnar was having a hard time, this afternoon.
The tire on his bike was flat. Again.
He and his brothers went to the neighbors. The child Gunnar’s age had another friend over and wasn’t playing with him, and the big kids might not have been including him (at least in the way he wanted.)
Mean old mom wouldn’t let him have any more screen time.
And he pinched his fingers in the door.

He wailed, with all the drama a 7-year old can muster, “I’m having a bad day! This is the worst day of my entire life!”

And I stood there, looking at him with compassion… and laughing a little, thinking, “You have a warm, dry, comfortable house, three meals a day, two parents and two brothers who love you, a healthy body, and nobody is hurting you, scaring you, or beating you. And this is the worst day of your entire life? Lucky kid!”

We are so blessed :0)

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: Looking forward to special family time for Valentine’s Day :0)

Here is picture thought I am sharing...

I don’t have one. But a quilt-pic is coming.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love these. Really I do... it feeds my "soul" in many ways just to read them. Where did you get this idea? I may have missed the introduction to your Simple Woman threads.

It helps to put all in perspective doesn't it?

I loved your "worst day of my life" tidbit, and even what happened in church.

Perspective... helps me to remember that God's perspective is very different from my own as well. I can be very self-centered and miss everything HE sees, or has even made available for ME to see.

Thanks so much for being "you".

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Denise,

Between your own blog and your comments... I'm sure you have the gift of encouragement!

I got the idea from seeing it on other blogs. If you click on the goofy picture at the top, it should work as a link to the "mother site".

Lots of people do the "Simple Woman" post. It's set up to do on Monday, but some do it on other days.

I'm not by nature a very reflective person, so it's a good discipline for me :0)

The dB family said...

Oh dear, my hubby is "preaching" in two weeks at church. Hopefully our service will be a little less eventful.

We just recently finished reading about Gladys Aylward. I love stories of faith!

Through it all we truly are blessed! I love what you said at the end!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Deborah,

I'm sure your husband will do fine! Apparently this man has a history of fainting, but I have no idea what the cause is. Makes me wonder about maybe low blood sugar? Because he doesn't seem to be nervous - sang in the Christmas choir. Who knows.

If your kids enjoyed reading about Gladys Aylward you all might enjoy the movie "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness". There are some Hollywood-ish discrepancies from the actual story that are worth talking through, but it's an old enough movie (late 1950's) that it's pretty squeaky clean. (A couple of kisses, but no groping.)

There are some scenes of violence, when the Japanese attack. So if you have tender little hearts you might want to preview the war scenes.

And Gladys isn't exactly small and mousey looking... played by Ingrid Bergman!