Monday, February 8, 2016

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days


For today, Monday, February 8, 2016


Outside my window...  the sun is shining, a breeze is blowing, and it's actually kind of warm.  Weird, for February, but I'll take it ;D


Hearing...  a quiet house.  Tate and Gunnar are both studying, the dryer is tumbling, and - although "warm" - the weather is still cold enough I have the windows shut.


Pondering...  I just don't get retail!  It is February, people, which means temps are still cold and we could still get snow.  And Gunnar has grown out of his jacket.  The boys all have real winter coats (ski coats, y'know?) but they almost always just wear a fleece jacket.  That should be easy to find, right?  I mean, around here you'd wear that at least ten months out of the year!  But NO.  Stores are ready for spring.  And by "spring", apparently they mean spring at the equator because everyone had shorts! sleeveless tops!  sandals!  bathing suits!  Stuff we won't be wearing for months yet.  But fleece jackets?  That took four stores, and we were about to give up until we found one (just what he wanted!) hiding on a clearance rack.  So hurray for getting a twelve-buck jacket, but what kind of crazy IS this?

Because, PS, this may have been the first time EVER I've gone into Walmart and come out without buying a single thing.  Do I get a prize?


Praying...  still praying for more work for Kerry :D


Thankful...  a couple calls have come in (potential work), we had a fun time with the youth group earlier last week, and a great time at my folks' yesterday for their annual "Soup-er Bowl" party.  Which was even better because that whiner - Cam Newton - got his comeuppance.  Ahhhh, that was soooo satisfying!


Wearing...  really?  Jeans.  A t-shirt.  A lime green sweater.  Whoop-de-doo.


Creating...  had a lot of fun on Saturday at my friend Nicole's house for a card-making party, and now I'm on a roll.


Looking forward to...  the long weekend!


In the kitchen...  cleaning up a lot of leftovers - ginger chicken, mac and cheese, chicken soup, rice, chili, and I don't know what else is in there.  Whew!


In the learning rooms...  we are officially half-way through the year.  Gunnar just "stays the course", but Tate has finished his Civics course and is starting Economics.  Some of it boggles my mind, but I like the personal budgeting stuff we go through.


Around the house...  nothing new from last week.  I like having more open surfaces... a few pretty things, but not clutter!


One of my favorite things...  the relief of getting all the bills paid (this morning) and still some money left over.  (Of course, there's a lot of month left too... ;D)


A few plans for the rest of the week...  my calendar is blessedly blank - love it!  Of course there's all the usual... homeschool, high school, college, CAP... and a long weekend coming.  Oddly, Tate has Friday/Monday off school, but Wyatt has Monday/Tuesday.  Go figure.  I suppose that's because some college classes are M/W/F or T/Th and they don't want to miss too many of the M/W/F ones?  Just guessing.


A peek into my world... 

Gunnar and Po

3 comments:

Sara McD said...

I clicked over here last night and didn't comment because I was pretty sure I would sound stupid but what the heck, you only live once so -

DA BUNNY! I wanna hug him and kiss him and call him George! Oh so cute.

Choate Family said...

We saw bathing suits in stores just after Christmas! One of things we notice when we come back and forth between the Solomon Islands and America is just how early people put out seasonal clothes or holiday decorations. It's not just Christmas in October anymore. It's Valentine's Day in December! What happened to being content with the place and time where you are currently residing?!?!?

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Sara, that's the bunny that someone FOUND in a cul-de-sac near us... he needed a home. So gentle, but HUGE. He must be a meat rabbit, and I'm not opposed to raising animals for meat, but we don't want to eat a PET. His name is Po.

Joanna, SO TRUE! I want one holiday at a time, thank-you-very-much, though I wouldn't mind moving Thanksgiving a couple weeks earlier! I love Thanksgiving, and I want to give it its full due, but I'd like a longer run-up to Christmas ;D