Monday, April 2, 2012

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days


For today, April 2, 2012

Outside my window...  would you believe that yesterday - April first  -  I woke up to this, out my window?


No foolin'.
But I had laundry hanging on the line out in the sunshine by two in the afternoon.
Go figure.  Welcome to spring in Washington.

I am hearing... the washing machine :D

I am pondering...  something our choir director said that had never occurred to me before.  The word "comfort" conjures up images like a cozy blanket and a hot cup of cocoa, especially on the cold, rainy days we've been having.  And there's nothing wrong with that - that's a form of comfort.  But the word "comfort" is an adaptation of the Latin - with strength.  God's comfort is mighty!  We went on to sing A Mighty Fortress Is Our God to the thundering accompaniment of a pipe organ.  Now that's the kind of comfort that rouses your soul!


And isn't that a handsome young man in the front row?!

I am praying... as usual - work for Kerry, a productive week for me, kindness and compassion for the boys (toward each other).

I am thankful...  for a week off :D

I am wearing...  jeans, navy sweater, wool socks.  My "uniform".

I am creating...  need to think about some baby gifts.

I am going...  to really work the Mother Load this week.

I am reading...  hoping to make time for personal reading this week... I'll let you know ;D

I am learning...  patience (grrrr!)

I am looking forward to...  planning the next school year.  Which is always so much more appealing, right about now, than plodding through the rest of this one.  Ah, the break will be refreshing.

In the kitchen...  seems like a good week for the crock pot :D

In the learning rooms...  we're taking a break this week - this Holy Week.

Around the house...  I'm feeling the urge for spring cleaning - you?

Noticing that...  the boys get along better with some structure in their day.

I am wondering...  why we have to learn patience - why won't God just download it into us?!

Something I want to remember later...  I'm so glad Wyatt decided to join the choir with me, for many reasons.  He's getting good musical training and experience, he's hanging around with adults (and a few other teens) who are having a wholesome good time making music, and the whole purpose is to praise and glorify God.  And he wants to be part of that :D

A favorite quote for today... 

All you really need to know about guidance can be summed up in this one sentence:
God is faithful, so obey Him.
Whether or not that seems likely to work is not your business.  Being faithful to God's revealed will is your business.
     - Iain Duguid

One of my favorite things...  crossing things off my list!

A few plans for the rest of the week...  Wyatt has a bit of school work he need to catch up on, but not much that requires my input.  I'm hoping to clean and purge (the house), get started on planning next year, and do some reading - I have a stack of books waiting.  Of course, we have several activities at church - Maundy Thursday soup and bread dinner with communion, Tenebrae service on Good Friday, and finally the Easter service followed by lunch and the afternoon at my parents with most of the family.  Maybe I'll finally make it to the sunrise service this year... we can hope!

A peek into my day...

With our concerts behind us, I'm happy to have my Monday evenings free again, though the fifteen mile drive to rehearsals had its compensations.


5 comments:

Felicity said...

Very handsome lad... :-)

We're taking a week off too.
Enjoy your Easter weekend, I hope it's a blessing.

Rebecca D said...

I too LOVE crossing things of my list... I just re-did mine and it is down to two pages... For now, I'm sure I will think of things to fill a third page soon!

tammy said...

What is it about crossing things off a list that is so rewarding! I LOVE it too. What a beautiful view from your window too! Oh how I'd love to wake up to that every morning (combined with the sound of the ocean). When I taught, I learned to NOT pray for patience as God always presented me with situation to strengthen it - of course He did! : )

Choate Family said...

I SO want to join you in singing along with the pipe organ. We are just going to have to figure out how to get up to your area for a visit. I'm having so much fun catching up on your blog and being in the land of internet again!

dlefler said...

Snow on the mountains! Yikes - not fair on April 1. We're due for snow next week, but we won't see it since we'll be in South Carolina on the beach. :)

The picture of the farm on your drive is absolutely gorgeous.