Monday, December 9, 2013

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days


For today, Monday, December 9, 2013.

Outside my window...  baby it's cold outside, but not as snowy as the photo (from a few years ago).  We still have some traces of last Monday's snow, but nothing new.  Still dark this morning, and Wyatt is already off to the bus.

Hearing...  the furnace blowing, and boy am I thankful for that!  Though it seems to be "warming up" (20F instead of 5F!) I'm still happy to be cozy inside with a hot cup of tea :D

Pondering...  how to prioritize my time this week.

Praying...  for a missionary friend who never complains (at least she seems not to!) but is soldiering through with malaria and an infection in her leg (infections can go crazy in the tropics); praying for work for Kerry - this local job he's applying for (!); and praying for our family to focus on Jesus in this wonderful season.

Thankful...  Gunnar seems to be on the upswing, that the Messiah concerts seemed to go well, and for a peaceful day at home yesterday.  A few of my friends from the chapel read the blog occasionally and I trust they'll take that in the right spirit - because I really do look forward to Sunday and being with my church family.  But with Gunnar still needing to be isolated yesterday, but obviously improving, I am so thankful for a quiet day at home.

Wearing...  I told Wyatt this morning that I was envious of the flannel-lined jeans he was wearing to school!  I think he thought I was nuts when I brought them home from Value Village for him to try, but now he loves them.  I'm wearing blue jeans, wool socks, slippers, a white turtleneck and a indigo/navy striped thermal henley.  I know, I know... total fashion.  *eyes roll*  But I'm staying warm!

Going...  we'll be going up to the school this evening to see Wyatt inducted into the National Honor Society.  He's getting straight A's at school and the same at home.

Reading...  The Ides of April, with Gunnar, and about to start A Single Shard.

Looking forward to...  getting together with my dad's side of the family this Saturday.  They're all coming here for the annual Great Scott Christmas Festivus - at least that's what I'm calling it!  (Scott is the family name.)  We basically have a reunion every December - no gifts, just lots of food and visiting and story-telling.  Love it :D
 
In the kitchen...  going to start a big pot of soup with some of the meat my dad has shared with us - elk and venison!  Boy is my freezer packed, right now :D

In the learning rooms...  Wyatt is taking four classes at the high school (English, Spanish, Geometry, and Algebra 2, which we used to call Trigonometry, Vectors and Matrices) and just two at home - American Government and Chemistry.  He's doing well in all of them and there's little I can do to help him at this point, except help him review for tests.  He'll be finishing up the government class in January and starting economics.

Tate is also working more and more independently (yay, Tate!)  He's marching steadily through Jacob's Algebra, Physical Science (studying the weather, just now), his language work, and loving his Sonlight American History.  Probably helps that he's currently reading Tom Sawyer, but this boy just loves history.

Gunnar had a bit of a setback, with getting sick, but he's doing just fine.  We're deep into the Roman Empire, with a bit of African and Chinese history as well.  He's also managing pre-Algebra just fine :D We have a few experiments to catch up on (or we may eliminate some of them), and he's plugging away at his language work - not his favorite, but he's doing fine ;D

Around the house...  feels so good to have the tree finally decorated - so late this year!  I love the scent of fir floating through the house :D  The boys love to have all the pretty lights lit.  I'll take some photos soon.

The Mother Load...  I still need to figure out what we're going to do about Christmas gifts (or not...) and decide if we're going to send Christmas cards.  I think it's kind of pointless to send cards with nothing but a signature (how about a picture? or some news? what's happened in the last year?!) so that's a chunk of time needed.  And then there are preparations for Saturday, as the Great Scott gathering is here.

Noticing that...  hmmm, it's 20F and cloudy.  Either it's warming up or... snow?

Something to remember for later...  well, just be thankful when your kids get to the age that they can manage to make it to a bathroom (or a garbage can or a bucket) when they're sick.  TMI?  Well, let me tell you, it's a blessing ;D

One of my favorite things...  snowflakes falling outside when I don't have to go anywhere!

A Bible verse...  1 Corinthians 15:52

Songs from Messiah are floating through my head, so I think of these in the old KJV

In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet:
for the trumpet shall sound
and the dead shall be raised incorruptible,
and we shall be changed.

Amen.  Every time I hear that song I wish I played the trumpet - so joyful and triumphant!

A few plans for the rest of the week...  the Honor Society induction tonight, CAP tomorrow, and the Great Scott Christmas party on Saturday.  Otherwise?  Just the usual homeschool.  *Happy Sigh*

A peek into my world...  at the local Gingerbread House competition guess what caught Kerry's eye?


Twinkie Minions!

3 comments:

Monica said...

Sorry I am late! Yesterday was run run run!
So glad Gunnar is doing better!
I love it when a song reflects scripture!
We have been out of school 2 days now over 2 inches of snow! Good grief, we are going to be in school until July! It is very cold here. Supposed to warm up into the 30's today though. Our wood furnace is cranking out the heat and keeping us cozy. Love those evenings!
My husband thinks those minions are so funny! One of his ringtones on his phone is them. Crazy!

Felicity said...

Glad to hear Gunnar is feeling better!
You sound really busy and on top of things school wise. We're on holiday!! ;-)

melanie said...

Definitely with you on being thankful for *mature* kids when they are sick!

Thought of you/your dad today when I heard about the 'family' lost in the cold wilderness the last couple days :o Thankful thoughts!

Have a great week!