Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Grasshopper Days 6-28-11


Grasshopper Days

For Today,  June 28, 2011

Outside my window... cloudy, may get some showers today.  Everything is green, green, green and lots of birds in the yard.

I am thinking...  it's supposed to be summer.  Doesn't look much like it today, but it's coming.  The calendar may say that summer started in June, but around here the weather isn't very reliable until after the 4th of July.  Still, being summer, I'll probably not be blogging much.  I may rework this in the fall with different headings.

I am thankful for...  a friend who is pregnant (!), boys who love to read, and that my birthday chocolate hasn't quite run out yet ;D

I am praying for...  my mom's health, work for Kerry, and good attitudes around the house.

I am creating...  order in the house - I'm getting a better idea of how I want to organize our home library.  And when that's done, hope to do some sewing...

I am going...  HA!  Spent too much of yesterday "going".  Had an 8:15 Cram-o-gram and decided to take the boys along because my appointment was near several stores and they all needed shoes.  Kill two birds with one stone, yah?  

Well.  The boys are troopers, I'll say that.

Even though we live in the Pacific Northwest, where summer is late arriving, apparently all the stores take their cues from California.  We were supposed to buy summer clothes in March.  Now the stores have back-to-school fall clothes.  I must be insane to think I could buy summer clothes in June.  Because the boys needed sandals, and do you think we could just go to any store and buy some?

Eight stores.  It took EIGHT.  Understand something about me.  I don't enjoy shopping.  I must be missing that gene or something.  I just want to go somewhere, find the thing I need for a good price, get it, and go home.  What I wanted was something like this:

What I didn't want, was to pay $95 a pair, at REI.  Hence our difficulty.
But, eventually, we had success and headed for home, lunch, and ibuprofen.

I am reading...  just finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  I had never read it before and nearly went through it in one sitting.  Lots to think about.

I am hearing...  the dryer tumbling.  No laundry on the line on this drippy day.

I am remembering...  summer goals, gotta keep working the summer goals :D

From the learning rooms...  just science, for the summer.  Wyatt is plugging away through Wile's General Science, and Tate and Gunnar and I are Exploring Creation in Zoology 1, with birds, bats, and bugs.  I posted below about our latest bird rescue :D

From the kitchen...  nothing happening.  Wyatt and Tate have CAP tonight, so dinner will be sandwiches.  But in other kitchen news... I just defrosted and cleaned the big freezer a couple of weeks ago - removed over TWELVE CUPS of melted ice, and now somebody left the door ajar and it's all frosted over.  Again. That does not make me happy.

Around the house...  boys, flopped over chairs, reading.  Birthday presents to put away.  And dust, dust, dust.  Actually, it's probably mostly pollen.

On my mind...  the Mother Load.  (My to-do list.)

Noticing that...  one more little growth spurt and Wyatt will be taller than me.  *sigh*

Pondering these words...  
Having boys is just God's opinion that your house is too neat.
*sigh*

One of my favorite things...  home.

A few plans for the rest of the week...  having a friend over for lunch,
re-tidying my office,
moving the furniture,
defrosting the freezer (again!).
It's a wild and fabulous existence ;D

Here is a picture I am sharing...
 They were SO LITTLE!  This is the beginning of Dino-opolis.
The Cone Age.

5 comments:

Abi's Blog said...

I know what you mean about the sandals - I went in Hobby Lobby last week looking for Fourth of July and Red, White, and Blue for our "celebration"; What did I find? Christmas! Now, I LOVE Christmas - but before the Fourth??
Have a wonderful day and enjoy your rain - wish you could send us some! It's HOT in Texas!
Blessings,
Ava

melanie said...

Cram-o-gram ~ laughing at that one!

So, did you find Keens for less than $95??! Reminds me I need to take my biggest boy shoe shopping before all the athletic shoes are gone at the "going out of business sale" at our favorite shoe store {bummer}

And thinking of shoes for your boys, I noticed they all have the same (little) tennies in the pic {better not say 'Cute'} =)

The dB family said...

I don't enjoy shopping either. Finding white shoes for the girls was not fun, but they did well.

I've heard about A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I'm going to have to check it out!

Have a great week!

Blessings!
Deborah

Felicity said...

Oh Julie, I HATE shopping too!! I also just like to go into a shop, get what I want and walk out (and GO HOME!) It's that 'separated at birth' thing again..
I love the words you're pondering.. my mother-in-law says that everyone should have boys, and that two girls only equal half a boy! Although i can't say that my untidy house is only the boys.... little girls and their 'stuff' gets all over too.
They're bringing in summer stuff here already, and I haven't even managed to find decent new clothes for winter. I'm wondering whether I should even bother...

Have a wonderful week,

Felicity

The Hibbard Family said...

The problem with buying spring clothes in March and fall clothes in June? By the time the season truly does roll around, the KIDS HAVE OUTGROWN THEM!!!!! Grrrrr!!

Your weather is so opposite of ours. We laugh at the "first day of summer" because we've already had summer for at least a month by that time. :-)