Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days


For today, Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Outside my window...
cold and clear again!
I love the evening glow on the hills,
though my phone camera doesn't capture it very sharply.


All that bright sunshine is great for doing projects -
lots of light in my craft room :D

Hearing...
a pretty quiet house.
Kerry's working out in his office,
Wyatt's probably on a computer,
and Tate and Gunnar just left for CAP...
with Tate driving!
It's so nice to have another driver in the house!

Pondering...
what's on Wyatt's list for tomorrow.
Since he graduated (!!!)
and has yet to find a job...
I own him.
Every morning I leave him a list of chores.
One of yesterday's was taking apart the sink drain in their bathroom.
Gee, I wonder why it was draining so slowly...


Aren't you glad you know too?!

Praying...
* for direction for that boy -
he has decisions to make!
* for all of us to stay healthy through flu season - ugh!
* for Kerry to persevere with a lot of work to do (great "problem"!)
* and for pregnant friends :D

Thankful...
* I think we're still kind of pinching ourselves that we have a GRADUATE in the family!
* I'm trying something new... I'm taking violin lessons with Gunnar!
At least until June, and then we'll evaluate continuing.
Until then, I'm searching for quiet corners of the house to practice squeaking and squawking.


Creating...
can't show too much yet, but the photos give a peek ;D

Going...
to make cookies for Wyatt's grad party -
he's not a big fan of cake.

Reading...
Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island, and enjoying it!


Looking forward to...
Wyatt's grad party :D

In the kitchen...
dirty dishes.
Where's my kitchen slave?

In the learning rooms...
Tate is once again tackling 20 credits (whew!)
and Gunnar is plugging away at high school / home school.
The (current) bane of his existence is poetry analysis.
Oh, he likes poetry, some poetry,
but he's lately been assigned to analyze a rather
airy-fairy, heavy-on-the-angst-and-emoting poem
that I could barely make heads or tails of.

He likes poetry... please don't make him hate it!

How about some Robert Service?
would keep them on the edge of their seats.


Around the house...
the boys have bedrooms,
generously sized bedrooms,
with plenty of room for their stuff.
So why is it all over the dining room,
and living room, and family room?
Why???

Noticing that...
sunrise while I was out walking...
almost looks like a forest fire is over the ridge!


The Mother Load...
getting ready for the grad party...
have I mentioned the grad party,
a time or ten???

Something fun to share...
after two years of me sitting and listening
(and reading or knitting)
while Gunnar has his violin lesson,
now he has to wait while I have mine.
He has declared it impossible to do any homework
and has devoted the half hour to winning over his teacher's cat.
Meowy is a rescue cat and is very skittish.
She finally allowed Gunnar a brief moment of scratching her ears,
then turned her back and refused to acknowledge him further.
We'll see what happens next week.


A favorite quote...
(On being tempted to constantly do, do do...)

Only a few things are really important,
and for those we have
the promise of divine help:
sitting in silence with the Master
in order to hear His word
and obey it in the ordinary line of duty -
for example, in being a good husband, wife,
father, mother, son, daughter,
or spiritual father or mother
to those nearby who need protection and care -
humble work
which is never on the world's list
because it leads to nothing impressive
on one's resume.
- Elisabeth Elliot


A few plans for the rest of the week...
prepare for... you guessed it,
the grad party.
Doing a bit of sewing and planning.
Just found out another friend is expecting!
Baby quilts are fun because they're such a manageable size.
I like a project I can finish in good time!

A peek into my world...
New Year's Eve... 1992???
If you like Gary Larson's The Far Side
you'll understand that we're cockroaches
going to a fancy-dress ball.
Because, of course.
What you can't see
(and really added to the ensemble)
are my big Sorel boots, because it was snowy.


4 comments:

Choate Family said...

I'm so excited that you are going to be taking violin lessons!!!

The Hibbard Family said...

Ball-worthy cockroaches! That made me smile. (Because yes, of course we like The Far Side!)

I can't wait to see what you have planned for Wyatt's graduation party!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Joanna - I'm excited too! So far, I can pluck a D scale. Yay me ;D

Ann - that was some long-ago fun! The party is all about Wyatt. And cookies. His request ;D

Wish you could both be here!

The dB family said...

It's so good to be reading your blog again! I have missed my blogging friends. A graduate? You have a graduate!? How quickly the time goes! It has been awhile since I have been on the blogosphere. Love all your pics! The Far Side was one my favorite comics. Love your costumes too! I'm sure the Sorels topped yours off perfectly! ;o)