Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Brain Dump

Well.

1.  It's Friday afternoon, everything (well, almost everything) is put away, and I'm finally off my feet (hallelujah and amen) after running nine errands, with two of the boybarians along for the ride.  And let me tell you, that is about six or seven errands too many.  Somewhere between the library, the consignment store, the school supply store, the copy place to send a fax (that didn't go through... grrrr!), the audiologist's, and Stuff-mart I realized that a nap sounded pretty darn good.  But we persevered.

2.  The funny thing (or not so funny) is that both of the boys have been pestering me for days to take them somewhere (the library, or a certain store) and while they think nothing of imposing on me to drive them around on their chosen errand, they greatly resent the inclusion of anyone else's errands, which are deemed unimportant, useless, and unreasonable demands on their personal time.  Oh, to be young again...

It didn't help that today is one of those clear and sunny spring days that remind me of the beginning of The Wind in the Willows, when Mole crawls up out of his hole into the glorious sunshine.  *sigh*  But I digress...

3.  Yes, you noticed the audiologist in there, didn't you?  With Tate's CI surgery looming closer on the horizon, a few of us have noticed that he seems to be asking for a lot more repeats lately.  A lot more cocking his head and leaning forward.  A lot more missed communication.  Which is all related to his "good" ear, not the ear that's about to be implanted.

Thankfully, our local university has a FABULOUS audiology department (as well as Speech/Language) etc. and they were able to work him in and test him this morning, so I didn't have to go to Seattle.  Again.  And lo and behold, he is down about five decibels at a couple of the mid-range frequencies.  Now, five decibels is within range of "variability in testing", but Tate is thirteen and a very reliable tester. 

So we'll watch him closely and I'll start "pushing" on his audiologist (at Children's) for a newer hearing aid.  Just FYI, while the university does a FABULOUS job with testing and therapy, they don't dispense hearing aids (or CI's, etc.), which is why we trek to Seattle.  Just in case you were wondering.

And, no, this won't affect his CI surgery at all.

4.  But, to further complicate matters...  the boys' insurance was up for renewal.  It's based on income and family size, so every year we have to provide documentation of that.  And being self-employed, well it's just that much more fun, since our income fluctuates wildly (between low and nearly non-existent the last couple of years) so we wait until we have our taxes done for the previous year and submit that.  Which has been just fine, until now.

The deadline for submitting information was April 30th, and I had ours in the mail April 16th.  I happen to know they received it on April 18th.  But they still haven't processed it.  And now I'm getting bills I shouldn't be getting and notifications that we aren't covered and Tate's surgery has been un-authorized.

And let me tell you, trying to get a live person on the phone, unless you call between 8 and 8:15 in the morning, is like searching for the lost tribes of Israel.  I've been on hold at times for nearly an hour.  An HOUR.  Sixty minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Thankfully Children's is aware of everything and working with us to get it resolved, and NOT going to cancel the CI surgery.  Yay, Children's :D

I know it's all going to work out all right; it's just a big pain in the posterior.  But then, why should anything in my life be easy?  *eyes roll*

5.  Looking forward to Mother's Day, this Sunday.  At least, it is here in the US.  "Mothering Sunday", to some of you :o) 

6.  Looking forward to a more "normal" week.  If such a thing exists in these parts ;D  Though it's fun to have lots of activities, and friends and guests coming and going, the boys have been asking if we have any plans next week, and glad to hear that we don't, apart from the usual.  And some friends coming over Wednesday afternoon, to play :D

I think we need a couple of solid school weeks to get us firmly on our feet before Tate's surgery,
this month!

7.  Meant to post these days ago...  while our friend Jim was with us, the boys and Kerry talked him into going mountain biking.  Don't think they had to twist his arm too hard ;D



That's what Sunday afternoon looked like :D

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh . . . the insurance mafia . . . yea, hate them.

Glad Children's is on the ball!

Rebecca D said...

Nine errands in one day? I bow to your superior woman hood... I can barely handle three in an afternoon!

Felicity said...

Sunday is Mothers' Day here too.
My children also think nothing of asking me to take them here, there and everywhere, but if they go with me on my errands they get 'tired' after just one shop/errand....

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Ha! Superior? Not a bit. Only a fierce desire not to do errands on the weekend saw me through ;D

Choate Family said...

I love all of the adopted aunts and uncles that God sends our way :-) Praying for the insurance fiasco and the upcoming surgery.

Joanna

The Hibbard Family said...

Insurance. Ick. Praying all is resolved quickly.

And those picture are glorious! What a view!