1. How can it possibly be June? It was just Christmas. Sort of. Maybe it's because in our part of Washington, with the exception of the brief sunny teaser in May, the months from January to June are all pretty much alike, cloudy and rainy. Sure, the rain gets a bit warmer, but it's still rain. But June, JUNE! Already!
2. I have a cold. Yes, yes, feel free to express your sympathy, and yes I will have some cheese with that whine. A cold feels so wrong this time of year. At least in February I could just curl up on the couch with hot tea and a good book, but now? Too much work to be done. I've been a slug all week and it's piling up.
3. The mowing. It must be done. Today, because it's not raining. At least not yet. All week it's been too wet to mow, until yesterday afternoon. And now we scurry around like crazy to get it done. The boys mowed both of the neighbors' lawns yesterday (and one is huge and hilly), and Tate did an extra two hours of work for an elderly couple from our church - weeding and trimming ivy. Today the boys have ours to do and the church's - which must be done before a funeral. (That would be a little distracting, yah?) They're doing great. They're learning to WORK. And they had to do chores for me, first, woo-hoo! They...
* finished math (Wyatt)
* finished science (Gunnar)
* took care of the neighbor's pets (Tate)
* emptied the garbages
* put the laundry away
* tidied the family room
* picked up their bedroom (very overdue!)
* weeded the future garden
* filled the birdfeeders
* got my bird-bath out of storage, and
* did the dishes.
Wow. That feels so productive, and I haven't done anything myself! Arm-chair general :D
4. I've had a little sewing factory going in all my free time (ha ha ha). My SIL mentioned that the only bibs they had that still fit Naomi were the two I'd made (along with the quilt). Her others are all too small (must be those tiny, decorative infant bibs?). So I've cranked out a few for the baby's b'day. Don't think my SIL reads the blog, but I'll get some pics and post later - after they're given - just in case. And yes, I know - Happy Birthday, Naomi, we got you bibs! Whoopee! We have another gift or two that are really for the baby. The bibs are for Mom.
5. I love winding down the school year. I love FINISHING things. Tate and Gunnar have finished all their language work. We'll finish their Eastern Hemisphere history/social studies and their science next week. That leaves us with a bit of math, and a read-aloud. We're enjoying The Hobbit, but had to put it on hold when I lost my voice. Grrrr. Wyatt just finished his Biology course (and the angels sang), and will finish his World History next week. He'll have to keep going to his classes at the public school until the 19th (I know, it's crazy), though I don't think they're doing much but testing. And if that seems late to some of you, remember that we don't start back to school until after Labor Day. But it's still late.
6. Molasses. This is a molasses day. As in I feel like I am wading through. Do you have days like that? I blame the cold. Everything just takes more effort today. Pushing on...
7. The deer are back. Not like they ever really left. But they know all our flowers are growing and they're back for the feast. Rotten pests. I know, I know, you think they're cute. And the little, tiny, knee-high baby we saw yesterday sure was. But... BUT. He can go be cute somewhere up in the woods, and not in my yard! If he only knew what we had for dinner last night... venison meatballs, YUM! :D