Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days


For today, Wednesday, October 26, 2016

I don't get it.
I used to do this every Monday,
and now, with - theoretically - more time than ever
here it is Wednesday and I'm just thinking about posting.

Because, of course,
the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

Or not.


Outside my window...

still loving the fall colors,
even when they're scattered down on my driveway :D


Hearing...

a happy sound,
my electric kettle boiling water for tea :D


Pondering...

deep thoughts, friends:


Praying...

* a friend out of work
* for Kerry to keep getting work
* for friends with cancer
* for all of us to stay healthy
* for Gunnar, who is nervous about playing his violin in the chapel talent show this Friday
(he'll do great :D)


Thankful...

* we are all healthy right now
* Kerry does have work
* the boys are doing well with their schoolwork
* I have a few quiet moments most mornings
* cooler weather makes cooking and baking more fun :D


Wearing...

old jeans and a green sweater.
My comfy-stay-at-home clothes.


Creating...

found fabric I like for an upcoming gift-quilt,
so now I need to come up with a plan :D

Tate is her current favorite

Going...

to take Gunnar to his violin lesson,
rescheduled from yesterday because he broke a string.

Because you really haven't been surprised until your adolescent boy tells you he needs a new G-string.


Reading...

studying Total Truth, which is going to be a long project,
and reading for fun (again)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

It was a windy day.

Looking forward to...

one of these days I'm 
finally going to get together with my friend Sara!

(Poke, poke.)


In the kitchen...

this is a day for home-made bread :D


In the learning rooms...

Wyatt has a long day at college -
starts at 9:30am and goes until 8pm.

Tate comes home for a late-ish lunch.

Gunnar gets done before 11,
and comes home for homeschool work.
And - today - a violin lesson :D


Around the house...

say yes to pumpkin spice candles.


Noticing that...

we are almost to the end of Daylight Saving Time.
Then come the days that end at about 4pm.

No kidding.


Something to remember for later...

all that STUFF can't love you back.


The Mother Load...

a whole lot of reminding the boys about things.
And cleaning.
The cleaning never ends.


Something fun to share...

our little maple tree.
I love it,
especially this time of year :D


A favorite quote for today...

God knows far better than we do
when we really need refreshment
and when we need to be pushed...
... when the pressure is off,
we have a tendency to forget
our need for God.
Our proneness to wander
is curbed by the
priceless grace of pressure.
Jon Bloom


One of my favorite things...

a hot shower and dry clothes,
after being out in the rain!


 A Bible verse...

Acts 11:23
and he exhorted them to remain
faithful to the Lord
with steadfast purpose.


A few plans for the rest of the week...

talent night at the chapel on Friday :D

With much encouragement, Gunnar will play his violin.
Because even though he knows that the chapel folks are a friendly crowd,
he's just a little bit nervous.

And by "just a little" I mean A LOT.

His teacher has agreed to come and accompany him with her guitar.
Go, Gunnar, Go!


A peek into my world...


3 comments:

Monica said...

oh goodness you had me just about rolling out of my chair! hilarious! I love visiting you and seeing the west coast! The pictures you share are so beautiful! That little niece of yours is really growing! Her looks are beginning to change a bit. Wyatt and his long day at school, yep, our daughter had a couple semesters like that too. It's actually good for them, they appreciate the hard work they put into their education... at least I think they do. ;)
It's a great place for Gunnar to practice being in front of the crowd. They all know and love him. They aren't going to eat him... bwahahaha! :)
For the most part I like the change in time. Early in the house means that we can cuddle up with a book and hot tea or cocoa and enjoy the evening. Having been farmers for so long we have come to recognize God's plan for the seasons. It's a time for rest for us as well as the land.
Well, so glad I got to visit with you today! Love me some of that bread with butter and honey on it! :D

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Monica, I'm totally with you on the changing seasons. I actually love fall, even with the shortened days. I love it when we're all home in the evening - reading, studying, whatever. (Though those evenings are getting rarer as the boys grow older!) You're right that WE need that restful season too!

Choate Family said...

I'm copying that Bloom quote!!! And Benjamin just got a new G-string in the mail. For his viola ;-)