Monday, October 3, 2016

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days

For today, October 3, 2016


Outside my window... the view above!  Our dogwood trees are flaming red :D


Hearing...  the dryer tumbling.
Clothesline days may be over for the year.

Virginia Creeper from the neighbors' yard

Pondering...  I've been trying to go to bed earlier and get up earlier.
My body would prefer to hibernate,
but I'm always glad I pushed through :D


Praying...  so many friends and relatives having health issues!
I'm glad God cares about our physical state as well as our spiritual state,
but I realize how much more I pray about the one than the other...



Thankful...  for our imperfect but wonderful chapel,
for good friends - old and new,
for boys working diligently on their studies,
for work for Kerry,
and for this glorious burst of color before the long gray winter.


Wearing...  blue jeans, light blue t-shirt, navy blue sweater.
45F this morning when I got up... brrrr!

The Virginia Creeper from our side, with the afternoon sun filtering through.

Going...  to rehearsal tonight,
but first - making lunch for all of us but Wyatt (long day at school) plus my dad,
who is helping us with a concrete project.

I'm sure one of my dad's gifts is helps,
plus...
he loooooves concrete projects!
And I'm so glad he does ;D


Reading... working my way slowly through Total Truth.


Learning...  all kinds of new things about the book of John,
thanks to my BSF group!


Looking forward to...  singing with friends tonight.


In the kitchen...  chicken tortilla soup left over from yesterday.
I've heard the French call leftovers "rechauffe" (sp?)
That sounds so much more impressive than leftovers,
don't you think?


In the learning rooms...  Gunnar is working away at his World History,
Tate is on his way home from the Tech College via public transport
(he's getting to be a master!),
and Wyatt has a long day...  classes (intermittently) from 9:30am to 7:50pm.
Whew!

I think it's better than stained glass!

Around the house...  the boys left a bit of a mess last night,
playing a big strategy/card game,
so they have some picking up to do.
And dishes,
always the dishes.


Noticing that...  I still hear some grumbling about the work load,
from a certain high-schooler,
but much less wailing and gnashing of teeth like at the beginning of the year. ;D

Even the driveway is a beautiful mess.

Something to remember for later...  I love that Gunnar wants me to come to school,
to meet a teacher he really likes.
She was ill and couldn't come to Back-to-school night.


The Mother Load...
* laundry
* boil eggs
* sew Gunnar's uniform
* BSF homework
* clean windows (still...)
* plan a friend's science course
* Goodwill run
* deposit checks
* call for eye appointment
* reschedule Tate's well-check
* PAY BILLS
* consignment run
* cull files


Something fun to share...  there's something kind of adorable about a sponsored child who writes that he wants to be a doctor, and his favorite school subject is...
geography.


A favorite quote for today...
To owe what you have not yet earned,
to have to work to earn what you have already spent,
was a personal diminishment
an insult to nature and common sense.
- Wendell Berry in Jayber Crow.


One of my favorite things... the crock pot.
Absolute genius.


A Bible verse...

Malachi 3:3
He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver;
He will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver.
Then the Lord will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness.


A few plans for the rest of the week...
the usual round of various schools/classes,
Civil Air Patrol,
rehearsal,
and Gunnar starts back to violin lessons.


A peek into my world...



No comments: