Monday, March 28, 2011

Grasshopper Days 3-28-11


Grasshopper Days

For Today, March 28, 2011

Outside my window...  cloudy and cool, but the boys are outside running laps around the house :D

I am thinking... about science.

I am thankful for...  everyone healthy, Kerry has a bit of work, and we got through the first half of Monday without any whining.

I am praying for...  my brother and his job interview Wednesday, friends (and strangers) in Japan, and attitudes around the house.

I am wearing...  sweats.  Have not showered yet, but going out this evening so will raise the bar just a bit.  ;D

I am creating...  dinner for a sick friend.

I am going...  to break early for lunch today.

I am reading... Whatever Happened to Penny Candy? by Richard Maybury.

I am hearing...  boys outside doing what boys do, the furnace running (brrr!), and...
tappity tappity tappity.

I am remembering...  

From the learning rooms...  parentheses in algebra, experimental probability (Tate), and the commutative property (Gunnar), words with curr/cour/curs, Mao's rise to power in China, apartheid in South Africa, experiments with light, writing Limericks, and talking about courteous speech.

From the kitchen...  grilled lime chicken with rice tonight.

Around the house...  I just tidied and where did all these books come from???

On my mind...  ten more weeks of school :D

Noticing that...  we all seem to be dragging today.  Why so tired?

Pondering these words...  saw this and cracked up...

I recently asked my friends' little girl what she wanted to be when she grew up.

She said she wanted to be President some day.

 Both of her parents, liberal Democrats, were standing there, so I asked her, "If you were a President, what would be the first thing you would do?"

She replied, "I'd give food and houses to all the homeless people."  Her parents beamed.

"Wow, that's a worthy goal," I told her.  "But you don't have to wait until you're President to do that.  You can come over to my house and mow the lawn, pull weeds, and rake my yard, and I'll pay you $50.  Then I'll take you over to the grocery store where the homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward food and a new house."

She thought that over for a few seconds, then she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?"

I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

Her parents still aren't speaking to me.

One of my favorite things...  hot chocolate.

A few plans for the rest of the week...  Tate's Hunter Safety course starts tonight and he is really excited!  Otherwise... school work and errands.  Thrilling times, yah?

Here is a picture I am sharing...  
Found this in the school room one morning, from Tate.
Anyone remember Harold and the Purple Crayon?

9 comments:

melanie said...

haha ~ Love the little-girl-who-would-be-President story =)

Just read Cathy's post on plagiarism, so I'll be sure to give credit if I copy and paste elsewhere ;-)

((Wow, where did March go??))

Felicity said...

I like that story - could be applicable here, without the party references!
Enjoy your week,

Felicity

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Melanie,

the story isn't mine! It's been passed around a lot and I don't know the origin - only that it isn't mine!

Cathy M. said...

I'm totally going to steal that story and claim credit for it too! Muah ha ha!

I used to love teaching Limericks.

Abi's Blog said...

Love it! I laughed outloud as well. :)
Blessings,
Ava

The dB family said...

Do you have a track worn around your house? I think your boys could teach Squirt a thing or two. That girl has so much energy!

Supper sounds delicious! I do remember Harold and the purple crayon.

Blessings!
Deborah

melanie said...

But I can at least give credit to you for sharing it =) ((Ha ha, Cathy! I'll be watching...))

leah said...

I love the Lego guy writing on the white board, lol!

I can't believe March is almost over. It is 25 degrees outside: whatever happened to March going out like a lamb? Sigh...

The Hibbard Family said...

Yay for some work!

The story made me laugh. Love it!

Tired with you. Here it's the desperate need for sunshine, I think.

Love the picture!

~Ann