Sunday, June 27, 2010

In Church Today...

It's been a full weekend.  The boys were at a camp-out on Friday, filled with squirt-gun battles, and spitting watermelon seeds, and swinging from the trees.  Then extra boys joined us overnight, sleeping on the living room floor with my boys, looking like a bunch of caterpillars in cocoons.  Though I'm not sure how much actual sleep happened either of those nights.

And then church today.



We missed last Sunday, due to fun family activities out of town, and it's so very good to be back with our church family today.

Everyone singing.  Babies giggling and squirming.  Toddlers wiggling and peering over the pews.  Pastor Bert faithfully, clearly pouring out God's Word.  Kids dutifully writing their notes.  Grown-ups too.  Carefully, oh so very carefully, passing the bread and the juice, from hand to hand.

Grace has appeared.

And a warm little body sinking into my side.

I felt his head begin to nod after the offering.

Gunnar, are you getting sleepy?

No...  Mama...  I just...  like to...  close my eyes...  a little.

And then the steady, quiet breathing of an exhausted child.

While I don't encourage the boys to sleep through church, I couldn't help but think what peace, to fall asleep surrounded by your family, hearing God's Word.

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow.

9 comments:

leah said...

I used to think that very same thought, as my boys fell asleep in my arms with the choir singing (my church starts at 10:45am, so it was 'morning nap time' when they were babies). What peace!

I hope Gunnar caught up on his sleep, lol!

Abi's Blog said...

What a beautiful church!
blessings,
ava

Cutzi said...

Such beautiful thoughts...

Love worshiping with you - even when most of my worship is from the foyer. ;-)

melanie said...

|-)

Sweet dreams, Gunnar!

Anonymous said...

Sweet thoughts of todays worship. Was so good to be with our church family especially today. We have had a hard week and it was just GOOD to worship and share together! And, I love Praise God from Whom ALL blessings flow!!!! (especially at the Chapel) Thanks for sharing and have a good week. lv jane (PB&j)

Kristen@nosmallthing said...

That sounds like peace, alright.

How lovely.

Colleen said...

Here I was, reading a Very Nice Blog Post, when I came upon a sentence that I read as, "Toddlers wiggling and peeing over the pews." Ahem. Notice a dropped "r" there? Perhaps, as a mother of five boys, a subconscious omission on my part. Hehehe.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Now that would've been a surprise at church!

I had to go back and make sure that's not what I wrote!

Could easily have been...

The dB family said...

*Sigh!* I love your church too and I've never even been there. What a sweet sweet post!

Blessings!
Deborah