Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Homeschool Bennies #18

We are free to spend time together as a family.

Strengthening family relationships, building closeness and togetherness takes time, and we have it.  Our kids are not separated from us for the majority of their waking hours.

I know, I know... didn't I just say this yesterday?  But it's not just the school hours, it's all the other activities our kids get pulled into.  Homeschooling families in general tend to have a different pace.  It's like the homeschooling attitude spills over into other areas.  Or maybe it's that there aren't "other areas", because our lives are more unified.  More whole.  Less fragmented.  At least that's my goal.

Certainly I've seen homeschool families that are frantically busy with enrichment activities, music lessons, sports practices and competitions, church events, etc.  Those are all things that we are/have been involved in too :D  And some families can handle more than others.  But I do find most homeschool families being very intentional about the level of activity they allow into their lives.  I also observe homeschoolers doing more things as families than in peer groups - not exclusively, but more.

We are all together in this glorious mess.

1 comment:

The dB family said...

I am thankful that Bub still loves to be with his family even though he is in highschool. I guess it's been those five years of homeschooling we did.

You need to mention one of the bennies we enjoyed. No hurry to get dressed or you can wear the same clothes all week -- or even a hula skirt if you will ;oD!

Blessings!
Deborah