Monday, July 2, 2012

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days

For today, July 2, 2012

Outside my window...  cloudy and cool and looks like it might rain.  If you can trust the forecast, summer is coming on Thursday.  But right now?  56F.  No, I am not kidding.

I am hearing...  the washer and the dryer.  Too cool and humid (and no breeze) to dry on the line today.  What I don't hear is the boys.  Should I be worried?

I am thinking...  of how to prioritize the projects I want to get done :D

I am praying...  for my new niece (have I mentioned her enough?!) to get "settled" into a good routine.

I am thankful...  Kerry is swamped with work right now!  Thankful for it, and praying it continues!

I am going...  Wyatt and I have choir practice tonight, prepping for an outdoor concert Friday evening.

I am reading...  taking my time with Vishal Mangalwadi's The Book That Made Your World: How the Bible Created the Soul of Western Civilization.  It is fascinating, and makes me wish I was a lot smarter!

I am looking forward to...  fourth of July at our friends' farm, Friday's concert, and some sunshine :D

In the kitchen...  I'm taking the night off, since we have rehearsal.  I did some extra cooking last week, to take freezer meals to my bro/SIL, but I think we've eaten through most of the leftovers.

In the learning rooms...  clock ticking...  peace and quiet.  I'll get in there and do some planning soon, but we're all taking a very welcome break.  Tate is working so hard on getting used to his CI, that he certainly doesn't need any additional work right now, although part of his therapy is fun.  We're listening to a book-on-CD from the library while he reads along in the book.  (Ben and Me)  Thankfully this one DOESN'T have music behind the narration or sound effects, making it much easier to discern the words.  Tate's doing great :D

Around the house...  mini-blitz this morning.  The boys and I tidied the downstairs areas; vacuumed the living room, dining room, family room  and stairs; cleaned two bathrooms; and got the stains out of the carpet where the boys have been using black shoe-shine.  Must come up with a better solution for that process that doesn't cause a big mess!

The Mother Load...  I'm sharing it with the boys ;D  Also have third load of laundry going, have been to the library, the consignment store, Value Village, and the grocery store.  I have a lot of books to add to our library - need the boys' help carting them around.  And we have a house-guest coming Friday, but he's completely easy-going - great to have around and no stress :D

I am wondering...  how others of you handle disciplinary issues.  I had one boy-who-shall-remain-nameless go toe-to-toe with me last night and defy me to my face.  As far as I'm concerned, you stick your chin out and tell me NO and you can expect the sky to fall.  Rapidly and with great force.

Something I want to remember for later...  the juncos, nesting in the grass, right beside the driveway.  Three (four?) little babies!

One of my favorite things...  the birthday chocolate I'm still finishing - Lindor milk chocolate balls.  Oh, bliss.

A Bible verse... 
The Lord is exalted, for He dwells on high;
He will fill Zion with justice and righteousness.
He will be the sure foundation for your times,
a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge;
the fear of the Lord is the key to this treasure.
Isaiah 33:5-6

A few plans for the rest of the week...  rehearsal, Tate's therapy appointment, CAP, fourth of July BBQ and fun, Friday's concert, the older boys flying (powered and glider) on Saturday, and more I'm probably forgetting!

A peek into my world...

 

4 comments:

The dB family said...

I didn't know that juncos nested on the ground. How neat is that?! Sounds like you have another marvelously busy week. Enjoy!

Blessings!
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Toe-to-toe with in-your-face defiance?

Shotgun! OK, maybe not.

For the moment my favorite is whispering, with my best you've-crossed-the-line face, "Oh no. Your options are to either respond with, 'Yes Mom' and obey, or, slap. my. face. I suggest you choose wisely."

The only reason this is safe with mine is because 1. they're learning that that defiance is the same as a slap in the face, and 2. they know what Mr Perfect does to to any man who ever threatens me with physical harm.

It's a win-win for us now, however you know better than I that each situation is different.

Praying for your son, and you too!

Felicity said...

So glad to hear Kerry is swamped with work!
I think your warmer weather came here by mistake... we are having a very mild winter. Last Saturday was 24C! Only one really cold snap so far. Sorry :-/

dlefler said...

I love those baby birds! We have had a very hot and dry summer - no rain here to speak of and I'm having to water our gardens (rare in our area of the world - we usually have weekly rainfall in the summer).

Oh, I don't look forward to the adolescent years. We get some defiance now (mostly from Nolan, who is still four and sometimes acts very "two") - Matt is a very compliant six at the moment. Why do they have to test limits every once in a while? Sigh...

YAY for being swamped with work!!!