Friday, October 17, 2008
This is not a political blog...
I. Voted. Today.
For me, at least, "it is finished". While I greatly appreciate the right to vote (!!!), I am heartily sick of the whole election process. That said, my mom and I would like to suggest a plan. (Mom, I added a couple of items...)
* Each politician running for office gets a spending cap, that corresponds to the level of government they are trying to achieve (ie the presidential candidates get to spend more than the prospective mayor of Podunk-ville).
* The candidates get TWO MONTHS to run their campaigns. They can advertise, bicker, put up yard signs, and kiss babies to their hearts' content, in September and October ONLY.
* All phone calls on behalf of candidates will be clearly identified as such on Caller ID.
* There will be a (political) media blackout for the first few days of November, to let the people reflect, and sift what they have heard.
* Then we vote.
* Each party gets TWO DAYS to scurry around taking down all the signs and billboards. They get fined for any they miss. A LOT.