Monday, February 24, 2014

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days

For today, Monday, February 24, 2014

Outside my window...  usually I look out, under and through the branches of a dogwood, but today they are so weighed down with snow...



... I moved the table, got a pole, and knocked as much snow off as I could because it's so heavy!  We've already lost one big branch from this tree and one from a tree in the front.

Hearing...  one of the saddest sounds in the world, from the boys' point of view... rain.  Melting snow.

Pondering...  euphemisms.  Why we rename things.  Lots of reasons, I'm sure.  But one of them?  

Shame.

We put a new name on it to make it sound better.

Praying...  Kerry's sick (nothing scary, just a miserable cold) and two of the boys are congested.  Whatever we get, Kerry gets worse.  His immunities are pthpthpth.  And - of course - for work.  For a JOB, not a project.

Thankful...  for the snow!  I know some of you are sick to death of winter, but we're having fun :D  I'm thankful the boys are all home today :D

Wearing...  jeans, white t-shirt, a thick navy/indigo stripe pullover, and warm socks.  Woo-hoo!  Fashion central, here I come ;D

Creating...  organization in my craft room.  I've done my part in getting everything ready for taxes (what a way to spend a weekend - blah!) and what a load off my shoulders :D

Going...  to make myself deal with several piles of books.  I need to rotate the book basket in the living room (books from our home library that correlate to what we're doing in school), check for library books getting close to due, and put piles and piles back on the shelves.

Reading...  just finished The Help and want to watch the movie - LOVED IT.

Looking forward to...  getting Tate a second CI!

In the kitchen...  this is two days in a row I've cooked breakfast.  It's the snow - puts me in a hot-food-mood :D  Dinner tonight?  Depends if Wyatt and I go to rehearsal.  The snow is melting, but I'm told the roads in the county are really icy.  If we stay home?  Something turkey... turkey taquitos? Turkey pot pie?  Hmmm...

In the learning rooms...  since the public schools are closed, we're taking a snow-day too.  I know Tate will go ahead and work independently, and more power to him.  But me?  I'm taking a "mental health day" :D

Around the house...  various coats, hats, and gloves hanging on chairs surrounding the heat vents.  When I was growing up we had a big, airtight wood stove that heated the house.  Hanging just a few feet away was a huge set of moose antlers my dad brought home from the Yukon.  Guess where we hung our hats and gloves and socks to dry?!

The Mother Load...  still there.  Still long.  Still giving me the Stink Eye.  But with the tax prep done I feel so much lighter!

A favorite quote for today...  When I do stuff, stuff gets done.  Yep.

One of my favorite things...  a yard full of boys - seeing my boys have so much fun!

A Bible verse...  I love the contrast of these verses from Exodus 14, when the Israelites were trapped between the Red Sea and the pursuing Egyptians and absolutely freaking out...

Moses answered the people,
"Do not be afraid.
Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today.
The Egyptians you see today you will never see again.
The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."

But being still, may have been more of a state of heart than... well... inertia.  Because in the next verse...

Then the Lord said to Moses,
"Why are you crying out to me?
Tell the Israelites to move on."

So, apparently, there's the praying-and-trusting part of faith, and the get-up-and-get-a-move-on part.

A few plans for the week...  I suspect we're going to have some cleaning up to do around the yard after the snow melts.  This snow is pretty wet and we've had a few branches come down.  And, of course, there's the usual round of schoolwork, CAP, rehearsal (maybe), yadda yadda yadda.

A peek into my world...  Wyatt likes to leave little messages for Tate on his dry erase board.



The bass says, "Reblz" and "New Hope" and "Go Luke"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding your quotes - here's one that can go with your 'quote' for today. "When I work, I work; when I pray, God works."

Gramma Grasshopper

Choate Family said...

Yay for a mental health day!

sara said...

Quick! Put your faces in the snow before it's all gone!

Rebecca D said...

Love your quote... I need to write it on my mirror and put it on my coffee maker so I see it every morning!

The dB family said...

Ooooh! I like Gramma Grasshopper's quote too! Glad the boys got to enjoy some snow yet. Praying for Kerry and for work. Have a great week!

melanie said...

Have to laugh when I think of your Mother Load giving you the stink eye :D

I was reminded of Cromwell's quote recently and it fits with your Bible passage: "Trust God, and keep your powder dry."

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Oh, darn it, Sarah! We forgot until the snow was way too heavy and clumpy.

Melanie - love the Cromwell quote ;D