Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Millers


Just in case some of you were interested... this is "Miller Time". There are at least four books in the series, and this (IMHO) is by far the best, especially for older kids. The others, Storytime with the Millers, Wisdom with the Millers, and Prudence with the Millers, are all little vignettes about a family with four children that coincidentally just perfectly illustrate the devotions Dad Miller is leading each evening.

They're printed by Rod and Staff, a Mennonite publisher that has no website or email, but you can find the books here, if you're interested. Or, if you click on the pic of the book above you'll go to Amazon. The stories definitely have a simple-life-on-the-farm flavor, as opposed to trying to be culturally relevant (no ipods, MTV, etc.), and some are decidedly Mennonite (like It's Safer to be Plain). My boys like the farm stories :0)

4 comments:

Ruby said...

My kids liked the Wisdom with the Millers when younger but I haven't brought it out recently. This missionary one might interest them. I hadn't actually seen it before. It is funny how cetain stories stay with you. My older girls probably heard those stories 10+ years ago and just recently one of them was remembering a story where an older sibling lay on top of the little brother to protect him in a (I think) a quake or eruption.(Both died and they were found that way)
This also reminded us of the Amish girls who had themselves shot first by a gunman in hopes of protecting the littlies.
I guess I'm thinking how childhood stories DO stick! Sorry for the long comment!

The dB family said...

Hmmm... sounds like some good reads for my littles.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Ruby, we're just coming to that story. It was the Arenal volcano in Central America.

The one were reading through now is all lessons from Proverbs; good words for my boys :0) Like "a gentle answer turns away wrath", and "better a little with the fear of the Lord than great gain with turmoil."

I may be misquoting, but you know what I mean.

Choate Family said...

This is one of our favorites, and we're cycling back to it in a couple months. Looking forward to "Miller Time" in our household, too :-)