Thursday, February 25, 2010

LOTR

Lord of the Rings.

Although, if you didn't know, you can pretty much skip this.

One year for Christmas, Kerry got me the LOTR set on DVD.  Not every year, but most, we pick a cold, dark Saturday during the winter, farm out the boys, and have a LOTR marathon.  And let me tell you, no matter how much you like them (and we do), watching all three, back to back, is an endurance event.  12+ hours of screen time.

And yes, I said we farm the boys out.  As yet, we have not let the boys watch them.  While there is much to admire in the stories, they are definitely dark.  As the years have gone by, the boys have heard us discussing the movies and asked me when they'd be old enough to watch them, and I have always said...

When you read the books, you can watch the movies.

Guess who is going to be watching with us this year?

1 comment:

leah said...

Did Wyatt read the book? Now I'm wondering which boy made it all the way through the book! That is a pretty good rule to have- if you want to see the movie, you have to read the book first. They're definitely dark- but I love them (we own a rather nice copy of the book, and the extended edition of the movies. Because we're insane like that).

Have a good time watching the movies! We haven't seen them in a long time, mostly because we haven't been able to farm the boys off to anyone, lol.