Monday, September 24, 2012

Grasshopper Days


Grasshopper Days

For today, Monday, September 24, 2012.

Outside my window...  the sunrises and sunsets have been spectacular lately, due to smoke in the air from fires to the east of us. Yesterday...


I am hearing...  listening to youtube clips of Henrik Chaim Goldschimdt with the Royal Danish Orchestra (Marcello's Adagio) and playing Gabriel's Oboe with the Faroe Islands Philharmonic - absolutely beautiful.  And one of my personal favorites - the LA Guitar Quartet playing Pachelbel's Loose Canon - amazing music, and FUN :D

I am pondering...  tales too ticklish to tell... in other words, things I probably shouldn't throw out to the larger blogosphere, but are weighing on my mind.

I am praying...  still praying for my friend Bruce, my mom's knee, and general family stuff.

I am thankful...  for the blessing of an intact family.  (Want to simplify your life?  Marry before having children, and then stay married.  Just a little tip.  And your parents?  Who stayed married?  You should thank them, for not ruining complicating your life.)

I am wearing...  oh boy.  Capri jeans and a blue t-shirt.  Amazing, I know.

I am going...  to crank out some sewing... MUST.

I am reading...  Island of the Blue Dolphins, Call it Courage, and Torches of Joy with the boys.  Their favorite?  Torches of Joy - the true story of how God's Word came to the Dani people of New Guinea.  Missionaries I've known since I was young worked very near these missionaries, so in many ways the story seemed familiar.

I am hoping...  to be in a more normal routine of schoolwork for the next few weeks!  We've been juggling our schedule to accommodate several appointments and activities, which is great - definitely one of the bennies of homeschooling - but it's time to get in the groove.

In the kitchen...  I'm so thankful to have a very full freezer, and lots to choose from.  Maybe stroganoff for tonight, if I haven't let the mushrooms go too long in the fridge...

In the learning rooms...  Wyatt has a biology experiment brewing in the downstairs bathroom (which has no windows) - four jars of pond water with different "food" sources are fermenting and awaiting his inspection with the microscope, Tate is adjusting to the more rigorous science course he's doing, and Gunnar is just perking along fine :D

Around the house...  I finally got things cleaned up (I kind of let everything go over the summer, when we were outside so much) and scattered some fall decorations around.  I like to put lots of family pictures out (more than I already have) coming up on Thanksgiving because that's what I'm thankful for :D

The Mother Load...  I must not let Christmas sneak up on me!  Must get going early on gifts!  I enjoy it more when I'm not under pressure, and I want to enjoy giving gifts :D  And we have six birthdays between now and Christmas, besides, though I'm not sure all of the guests of honor are going to attend their own parties, so it may only be four.

Noticing that...  it's just so hard to be thirteen, sometimes.

Something fun to share...  more bunny pics coming soon, but in the mean time...


Podger is shedding his summer coat and has two, matching, lighter-colored dot on his ears.

Weird-cute.

I reminded the boys to give the adult bunnies regular attention (and not be totally distracted with the little ones) or they'd get ornery.  No problem :D

One of my favorite things... music.

A Bible verse...  2 Peter 1:3
His divine power had given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness.

Everything we need.

A few plans for the rest of the week...  school, school, and school.  May or may not go to "Back to School Night" at Wyatt's HS.  And the benefit would be...?  Choir rehearsals start in two weeks, so I'm enjoying my evenings at home :D

A peek into my world...  I'd better get these before the &@%# deer do.


2 comments:

Felicity said...

Malcolm and I were discussing the broken family issue just last night. It's such a sure way to mess up a family, community, society... just about everything...!

I love Gabriel's Oboe and Pachelbel's Canon, although I haven't heard that particular one by the LAGQ - must go look it up.

We all enjoyed Island of the Blue Dolphins!! When I was a child I used to dream about living alone on an island like that, so it sure fired my imagination again!

Crystal in Lynden said...

Not surprising... we share the same ideas about marriage. :-) It still shocks me to my core when I find out a couple I know or that is in my family circle is getting a divorce. I was just commenting to my husband yesterday in a bit of sarcasm that these "break ups" happening around us are messing up my photos and my photo book I was working on.