Friday, December 4, 2009

Friday Blitz

I've mentioned my bloggy soul-sister.  You can find her at the link just below.




Her "thing" is organizing.  Right there you know I like her.
And she lives in the real world.
You know, the I-want-my-house-clean-but-we-live-here-too.

Because it just irritates me to see photos, usually in magazines, of houses that look too perfect.
Like nobody actually lives there.
They wouldn't dare.  They'd mess it up.
Makes me want to stomp in wearing muddy shoes and drop some bags of groceries in the middle of the floor, just to see what would happen.

Anyway.

My Organizing Mommy friend suggests a one hour blitz.  You can read about it on her blog.  Basically, you work like a maniac for an hour and see how much you get done.  Not the sit-down jobs, the running around the house, tidying and cleaning jobs.  But I needed to so some sit-down jobs, too, so I compromised, and did some of each, and took two hours.

FIRST, I...
folded and put away two loads of laundry
threw another load in the washer
stripped our bed
put on clean sheets

cleaned off the chair in my office
patched two shirts
sorted out a laundry basket of stuff to go to Goodwill and the consignment store
and
emailed Gramma Grasshopper some pics to print

And rewarded myself with a break :0)

SECOND, I...
downloaded a bunch of pics I'd taken on Tate's camera
threw in another load of laundry
prepared a folder for the boys to bring to Messiah
organized several unwrapped gifts
framed four pictures
sent two thank-you cards
ordered Christmas stamps
emailed some pics I'd promised my cousin
and attacked my office and desk


This was what I saw as I walked into my office.
Depressing.



Now it looks like this.
Oh!  It's the floor!




Too much stuff everywhere, and no room to work.



I still have a project on my desk, but just one, and my supplies are tidier.



My desk was like the leaning tower of Pisa.  Ugh.
And it's mostly bills.  Double ugh.



Now I have room to deal with all those papers.
Tomorrow.



I need the ironing board in here when I'm sewing, but the rest of the time it's in the way.
And it accumulates more clutter.
(Where does that stuff breed, anyway?)



Now I can get to the closet.


For me, a cluttered environment equals a cluttered mind.
I can't function very well in the midst of disorder.
So I may not have accomplished many of the tasks I need to do, but having a tidy environment energizes me to get onto them.
Like the bills.

Tomorrow.

6 comments:

leah said...

Wow- that blitz worked wonders! My computer desk is an absolute mess. I need to get to it... tomorrow!

Ruby said...

Woohoo! I am exhausted just from reading the post! Great blitzing, Julie.

Jena Webber said...

Amazing! You are an organizing mommy extraordinaire! And your cluttered space looks a lot better than my cluttered space! But whatever. I was thinking your office looked cool with the baskets on the floor, but it would be hard to get around. Thanks for promoting things so much--especially since I know you mean it:) Wow, I'm so tired from seeing all that you got done, that I need to take a nap now. LOL

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Thanks, all, for the encouragement. My office tends to 'get away from me' more so than the rest of the house... because it's mostly just me that sees it.

O.M. - I probably won't Blitz every Friday, but it's good accountability :0)

Julie

B. said...

Love to be organized, love the thought of blitzing. I keep hoping to try it myself! I see my stuff and get overwhlemed easily.

The Hibbard Family said...

Oh, how I can identify. I'm finally learning how to keep things tidy even as I work - something I've never been good at but that has always caused me difficulty. Lack of clutter is so much nicer!