Saturday, December 5, 2009

Preparation and Frustration

I've been preparing the boys to attend Messiah tonight, especially Tate.

Knowing that it will be hard for all of them to catch all the words that are sung, I've printed them all out.  I've also given them things to listen for in most of the songs/pieces.  Like, "Listen to the strings. Thousands of angels have just appeared to the shepherds.  Can you hear the beating of their wings?"  And I've been explaining different musical techniques, like the way the voices make interwoven harmonies and then emphasize other words by singing them in unison.

As I was going through one of the songs with Tate, playing it on a CD and mouthing the words so he could read my lips, Gunnar walked in and started talking.  (We're working on his frequent interrupting...)

I ignored him and kept mouthing and singing the words for Tate.

Gunnar got more frustrated.

"Mom!  Quit interrupting me!"

I gave him the raised eyebrow.  "I'm not interrupting you, I'm singing."

Pouting.  Stink eye.

"Well... then quit sing-errupting me!"

No comments: