Monday, December 7, 2009

Simple Woman #39




FOR TODAY    December 7, 2009

Outside my window...  cold, clear sunny day.  The bare branches are tossing in the wind.

I am thinking...   17 days before Christmas.  So, of all the things I'd like to get done, which are most important?

I am thankful for...   we had a fun but BUSY weekend.  (PTO day - project day, church, Tuba Christmas, and two Messiah performances.)  As much as I liked all the parts of it, I'm glad it's past.

I am praying for...  right Christmas priorities.

I am wearing... jeans, dark green sweatshirt, a turtle neck that is printed with swirly strings of Christmas lights, wool socks.

I am creating...  a baby gift for little Jack Steven, born on Tuesday :0)

I am going...  staying HOME tonight - no more rehearsals :0)

I am reading... almost done with the Little House series I'm reading aloud to the boys.  We're into These Happy Golden Years, which is the last one I'm going to read to them (of the series.)  I'm still amazed (and happy) at how much they're enjoying these.  I confess that I do skim over some of the lengthy descriptions of their dresses that she includes in these latter books, but other than that, the boys are a rapt audience.  But I haven't been reading for myself much lately.  *sigh*

I am hoping...  not to cram too much into our Advent season, to fully enjoy it with my family in a relaxed way... as relaxed as three boys ever get ;-)

I am hearing...  the wind.  I love how it makes different noises going through the different trees.

I am remembering...  wishing and praying, as a child, that it would snow on Christmas.

From the learning rooms...  line plots and bar graphs, writing a narrative paragraph, starting through Janice vanCleave's chemistry experiments, memory verses for the Christmas program, the Turkish siege of Vienna, and Turkish Delight.

From the kitchen...  pork roast in the crock pot.

Around the house...  candles, Christmas lights, decorations, the advent wreath, Christmas stockings,

On my mind... thinking that after we finish the Little House books I should read the boys my great-grandmother's book.  She was born shortly after their - Laura and Mary's - time (later in the 1800's) and grew up in Kansas and Oklahoma before moving to the PNW as a young wife.

Pondering these words...  
"Mom, clear is a color you can see through."  - Gunnar


One of my favorite things...  Christmas carols

A few plans for the rest of the week...  making/buying Christmas presents (which I wanted to have done by Thanksgiving... *sigh*)

Here is a picture thought I am sharing... 

My brother - a fan of all things Disney - is giving us a 'tour' of a scale model he's making of Disneyland.
This is just the beginning...

6 comments:

Patty said...

Would it make you feel any better to know you are not the only one who hasn't gotten all their Christmas shopping done? I am such a procrastinator. Have a great week!

Ann @ HouseOfEstrogen said...

That's neat that your boys are enjoying the Little House series. I haven't read that to my girls yet, but I'll have to put it on the list for next time we go to the library. I bet they would like them too.

quilt'n-mama said...

I would love to know about your great grandmother's book! We love stories from that time frame and we live in KS... where lots of people homesteaded on the barren plains!
As always, I enjoyed your daybook this week.
Blessings,
Gayly

Herding Grasshoppers said...

My great grandma's "book" isn't something that was published. It's a record of her memories that was typed up in the mid '70's by my aunt.

My great grandma's family lived first near Wichita, Kansas (she also mentioned an area - a school district - called Rock Island), and then staked a homestead claim in an area of Oklahoma she called Union Center, near another community called Keystone. She also mentioned a town called Alva.

I don't know if those places still exist today, or if they've been renamed.

dtbrents said...

I enjoyed your daybook. Your boys are so cute. The picture is beautiful. It looks like you are good at decorating. I like the idea of what your husband is doing. It does sound very hard though. Have a great week. Doylene

The Hibbard Family said...

Your post made me smile, even reading it two days late. I love the picture of the house surrounded by snow, the neat heritage of being able to pull your great-grandma's story into daily life, and the hope for a less-than-chaotic Advent season. Some days I have to skip over some posts in my too-full Google Reader, but yours rarely get skipped. Thanks for sharing, even with us "strangers."

Ann