Am I the only one who looks around the house at the end of the day, at all the detritus of living with three boys and a husband, and wonders, What did I do all day? Because it doesn't seem to show.
In fact, just to prove to myself that I do actually do things, I decided to write them down on Saturday. In spite of the house still looking... well... lived in, on Saturday I:
1. Made strawberry jam. Which didn't set very well, but tastes pretty good. The sprinkle of cinnamon was a good idea.
2. Cleaned the goldfish bowl. And why am I doing that? It's Gunnar's fish.
3. Grabbed Tate (because the others were sleeping in all the way until eight!) and ran to our favorite bakery for donuts, to surprise the fam.
4. Made a cooked breakfast to go with the donuts, in a vain hope of everyone skipping lunch.
5. Washed dishes twice (before and after breakfast.)
6. Went outside between torrential downpours to rescue the peonies (which the deer have thus far overlooked) from being beat to the ground by the rain.
7. Forced the minions to tidy the living room so I can appreciate looking at my flowers without all their clutter competing visually.
8. Spent an hour diddling around online. Possibly more, but I wrote an hour and I'm sticking to it.
9. Three loads of laundry. Fun times.
10. Figured out how to get into the boys' CAP eservices accounts and paid their annual membership dues for them. Yay, me.
11. Went for a walk with Gunnar. Did not bring camera. Probably should have as he was impressed by grass growing taller than his head. Pretty sure it will still be there tomorrow.
12. Made gourmet lunch of boxed mac and cheese, and there was much rejoicing.
13. Washed dishes. (#3)
14. Cruelly forced Wyatt to sit down and transfer the answers from his standardized testing into the little bubbles.
15. Sorted the boys' school work between stuff-to-keep and stuff-to-recycle.
16. Mobilized the minions to empty all the garbages and recycling between more rain showers.
17. Moved more books downstairs, so the house won't collapse. Not that it probably would, but I'm a little paranoid about 110 year old balloon-framing.
18. Made minions clean up several million Lego pieces from the floor of the playroom we just cleaned yesterday.
19. Finished vacuuming said playroom floor.
20. Dust mopped upstairs. Left pile of dust bunnies for boys to clean up when they vacuum the stairs. Hopefully, soon.
21. Dug lemon balm (growing in the alley, escaped from someone else's garden) to transplant.
22. Made giant pitcher of sweet tea with lemon as an alternate way to get caffeine without drinking Coke (my weakness).
23. Threw chicken, green beans, cream of chicken soup, and stuffing mix into crockpot for dinner.
24. Read the book my bro/SIL gave me for my birthday.
25. Ran upstairs to turn off and unplug my computer as a thunderstorm rolled in. (Paranoid? Maybe.)
26. Reset all clocks after power came back on.
27. Picked through wilted salad in fridge to find enough for everyone to eat at dinner, with crockpot chicken.
28. Dishes. Again.
29. Let Kerry talk me into watching two-and-a-half hour sci-fi movie with the boys.
30. Wondered what on earth ever made him say he thought it was a movie I would really like. (Does he have no idea what kind of movies I like, after 18 years of marriage? Or does he just say that to trick me? One of the mysteries of life, I guess.)
31. Showed Tate how to recharge his CI power cels.
32. Resisted impulse to call my brother and ask if my SIL had gone into labor, naturally.
And this, my friends, is why I have thousands and thousands of devoted readers. (eyes roll)