Monday, June 11, 2012

Grasshopper Days



Grasshopper Days

For today, June 11, 2012


Outside my window...  beautiful sunshine!  Especially welcome, since the forecast was less promising.  Gunnar and I have already been out for a walk, down to the duck pond. 

I am hearing... bird, birds, birds!  The pond was alive with birds - our favorite being the red-wing blackbird and his wook-a-duh-DEE-doo call :D



I am pondering... how much the weather can affect our emotions.

I am praying... my bro and SIL are expecting their baby in just a week (though we all know how punctual babies sometimes aren't), Tate's CI activation next week (!!!), and in-law issues.

I am thankful... the boys are cheerfully finishing their school work and we are so close to done.

I am wearing... turquoise capris, blue t-shirt.

I am creating... already working on (school) plans for next year, and scheming about projects to do over the summer.

I am going... to make lunch, shortly, as soon as Tate finishes ironing his uniform.  He does it all himself, but likes me to check and see if his creases are right. 

I am reading...   Code Talkers, by Joseph Bruchac, with the boys, and The Book That Made Your World: How the Bible Created the Soul of Western Civilization, by Vishal Mangalwadi, for myself.

I am learning...  fascinating history of the Navajo Indians from World War 2, and have just started the other, so no comment yet.

I am looking forward to...  Tate's new hearing and my mom's new knee (sometime later this summer).

In the kitchen... I'm thinking we'll have egg burritos for dinner, since I already have lots of delicious add-ins ready - left over from Saturday's dinner.  I made barbacoa pork Saturday night and served it kind of like a taco salad.  Soooo yummy!

In the learning rooms...  that wonderful end-of-the-year feel :D

Around the house...  piles of books, RC airplanes and helicopters the boys had out for the Aerospace Fun Night last weekend, and a few blue irises on their last legs.

The Mother Load...  oh heavens... how did my office get so messy?  Oh yah, the surgery and the aftermath of busy-ness and distractedness.  Time to tidy, again.  And Kerry keeps saying he'll get the garden fenced.  I have vowed not to plant a single thing until it's secure, otherwise - hello - buffet for deer, y'know?  But it's getting so late... any of you local friends, too late to plant this year?  Or what will still grow?

Noticing that... Gunnar and I need to be more consistent about walking, especially now that the weather is (generally) improving.

Something I want to remember for later...  that this year Gunnar loved division.  He would actually ask if he could do more division problems than I assigned him.  Go figure.

Something fun to share...  snow?  In June?



A favorite quote for today...  I haven't trusted polls since I read that 62% of women had affairs during their lunch hour.  I've never met a woman in my life who would give up lunch for sex.
     Erma Bombeck

One of my favorite things...  sunny, breezy days :D

A few plans for the rest of the week...  finish school, plant something, hang laundry on the line, get pizza for lunch tomorrow.  Lofty goals, I know ;D

A peek into my day/world...

Tate is healing up, just wonderfully - we're very thankful!


A happy sight at the end of the walk, this morning.


The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
     - Psalm 16:6

4 comments:

Felicity said...

Oh my - snow in June??? When did it fall?
How nice to take a walk down to a pond. Wish I could do that too..
I'm glad Tate's healing so nicely. My kids are quite interested in the process.

dlefler said...

WOW - Tate's scar is almost invisible. Amazing! Does he have to wear the pressure bandage anymore, or is he done with that?

I love walks in the woods. We often go down to the Audubon to check out their ponds and wildlife!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Sorry, Felicity! Not really snow :D

Leah, he had to wear the bandage round the clock for the first week, and now just at night, for another week. Two more nights :D

And his activation is in a week - next Tuesday!

Choate Family said...

Counting down the days until activation!