Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Listening with discernment

First, no - I didn't take the picture. If you can't see the logo, it's a National Geographic photo.

I read an interesting blog by an "English Muffin" recently, which reminded me of our trip to Mt St Helens last summer.

We did a lot of research before we went, familiarizing the boys with the events surrounding the eruption in 1980, and what has happened since then.

While camping near the mountain, we visited FIVE interpretive centers, all focusing on different themes, and all very interesting. The highlight was our stop at the 7 Wonders Museum, a creation-science information center. Our host cheerfully gave our family an enthusiastic and somewhat rapid-fire presentation that was clearly developed for adults and older students. My three boys (then 6, 8, and 11) listened politely, but I really wasn't sure how much they were able to assimilate - especially my middle son, Tate, who is Hearing Impaired.

But all was well. After browsing the gift shop and picking up a couple of wonderful books, we headed for the van. As we drove away Tate said to me, "Mom, I found that quite interesting because it was a Christian way of telling it, so I didn't have to ignore any of it... like how old stuff is."

No comments: