Thursday, December 11, 2008

Advent... Day 11

We had a moment of drama this afternoon. Gunnar went out to the backyard to visit Bartleby (the bunny) and he was GONE! (Bartleby is a Netherlands Dwarf, a little rabbit, and doesn't try to escape even if you set him down.) He looks a lot like this picture... which isn't actually him.

Yesterday the boys had friends over, and had gotten Bartleby out to give him some attention and play with him. When Gunnar - nearly in a panic - said he was missing, I could see that the roof of the cage was propped open. The bunny couldn't jump out, but a dog could've jumped in and carried him off! I thought the boys must've forgotten to close the cage, and - though they denied it - I could see they doubted themselves.

By this time Gunnar was sobbing, at the thought of Bartleby becoming part of the food chain. But, we had a happy ending - Kerry had brought the rabbit into his office. Relief! (And much snuggling of the bunny.)

I've been in a wrapping frenzy this afternoon... on the floor, because my office is just a wee bit untidy, and now my back is protesting and my flannel sheets are calling. So, briefly, Wyatt's turn tonight and (these kids are getting pretty good at finding the book they want!) he came up with Chris Van Allsburg's "The Polar Express". We have loved the book for years, and when it came out as a movie, saw it in 3D at an IMAX theater. Very Cool!

In our devotions we read about the angel Gabriel's visit to Mary, in Luke 1. In an effort to help my boys separate truth from fiction, in this day of cutesy angel trinkets (*ugh*), we've talked about angels being God's warriors as well as His messengers. They are quick to notice that very nearly the first thing every angel is recorded as saying is some variation of, "Fear not!" Check it out for yourself!

4 comments:

leah said...

You have the best pet names. I'm glad that Bartleby the bunny is safe and sound!

Real angels are definitely different than the ones portrayed in Christmas ornaments and other cutesy kitsch (try saying that three times fast). Many accounts start with the human fainting!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

We just read the account in Isaiah, of his vision of the Lord. He thought he was going to die.

Just for fun...

Deut 5:23-27
Deut 18:16
Judges 6:22-23
Judges 13:22
Ezek 3:23

Helene said...

The bunny is adorable!! We're avid bunny lovers over here too but we lost our last bunny (of 3) about a year ago and the kids were so heartbroken that we thought we'd take a break from animals for awhile (with the exception of the outdoor cat, of course!) I'm so happy to hear Bartleby was safe!!!

I had no idea Polar Express was in 3-D at the IMAX theatres...that must've been really cool to watch!!

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

The dB family said...

Glad to read that Bartleby is safe! What a cool name!

I'd never thought about that before, but you're right, almost every angel accounting begins with "fear not". It makes sense because I think I'd keel over on the spot too if an angel suddenly appeared before me.