Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday

The boys are having a PTO day today, and I am cooking a turkey. Not related to Easter; just because I like to.

And, Lord willing, (if nobody throws up today), we are looking forward to going to church this evening for the Tenebrae Service.

UPDATE - Friday evening: Thank be to God, Gunnar has felt well for two consecutive days. He did fall asleep during the service, but I'd prefer that to our dramatic exit last Sunday. Hallelujah!

For a better and more succinct explanation of Tenebrae, click here. Easter is more joy-filled if you understand and acknowledge the anguish and despair that came before.

Reading other folks' posts today, brought these words to mind:


My hope is built on nothing less
than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
but wholly lean on Jesus' name.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand;
all other ground is sinking sand.

When Darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on his unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
my anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand;
all other ground is sinking sand.

His oath, his covenant, his blood
supports me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
he then is all my hope and stay.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand;
all other ground is sinking sand.

When he shall come with trumpet sound,
O may I then in him be found!
Dressed in his righteousness alone,
faultless to stand before the throne!

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand;
all other ground is sinking sand.


1 Peter 2:24
He himself bore our sins, in His body on the tree...

3 comments:

Colloquist said...

Julie, I've enjoyed reading your blog over the last couple weeks, as well as your insights at Pyro and SolaMom. Thank you for the kind things you said. May this day be one of reflection and peace - we know what's coming on Sunday, praise God! :)
~Jill (Rabbit)

The dB family said...

Christ has risen indeed!

Anonymous said...

Jules, if you remember, that hymn was Pastor Paul's favorite :). We really appreciated the meal last night and our time with you all at the Tenebrae Service. Praise to God for His plan and for sacrificing His Son for me/you...all. And Praise the Lord that Gunnar is well. Tell him to go easy on the chocolate tororrow. :)