Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Volume

Tate copes so well with his hearing loss that sometimes I (sort of) forget about it. Well, maybe it's not a forgetting, but just that it's the status quo and we are used to it.

Still, situations do pop up...

At night, without amplification (when his HA is out) he has no idea how loud he is talking. And he is savvy enough to know that he doesn't know how loud he is talking, so he overcompensates (undercompensates?) and talks REALLY QUIETLY. So quietly that I can't always hear him.

Early this morning, when I was still half-asleep, I heard a buzzing little whisper in my ear. It was Tate, informing me (because how else would I have known?) that the Tooth Fairy brought him a new Civil War chapter book. Yes, she has an uncanny ability to keep up with Tate's interests, you know.

But, on the other hand, we were at the mall one day and wandered in to the Old Navy store. When the... hmmmm... fashionably? no... inappropriately? close... scantily clad sales girl bent over the pile of shirts she was sorting, Tate's eyes widened and all thought of volume control went right out the window.

"MOM! SHE'S NOT DRESSED VERY MODESTLY, IS SHE?!"

That's my boy.

2 comments:

Tina Marie said...

Even though he's not mine, can I say, "That's my boy!!!" In our house he would say something more like, "Mom! She's being that girl!"

Herding Grasshoppers said...

It's hard to be embarrassed when he was SOOOOOO right.