Monday, March 15, 2010

Simple Woman #52




For Today...   March 15, 2010

Outside my window...  sunny but cold, snow in the hills, birds chirping, boys running laps.

I am thinking...  I am still adjusting to the time change.  Morning seems to come earlier....

I am thankful for...  Kerry is out at the church doing some paid work (!) and it's not raining.

I am praying for...  us all to get over this nasty cold.

I am wearing...  jeans. sweater. thick socks. boring.

I am going...  to stay home and rest as much as possible until I stop coughing.

I am reading...  Heavenly Hospitality, by Ann Janssen.

I am hoping...  Tate is the "last man standing" - the only one in the family not coughing and sniffing.  Hoping that he dodges the bullet.

I am hearing...  boys now finished with laps and playing Take Off down in the dining room.

I am remembering...  fun time this weekend with our LOTR marathon.

From the learning rooms...  dividing fractions, the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte, nominative pronouns, trichotomy, drinkable iron (an experiment with various fruit juices - yum!), and dozens and half-dozens.

From the kitchen...  shepherd's pie for dinner tonight.

Around the house...  mostly tidy, except the family room which looks like the aftermath of an earthquake.

On my mind...  Easter is coming soon :o)

Noticing that...  I've been hearing lots of frogs at night.

One of my favorite things...  Cadbury Mini-eggs.  Why, oh why, don't they sell those things all year?

A few plans for the rest of the week...  soccer practice has begun for Wyatt.  Ugh.  Temps are in the 40's and 50's, and rain is forecast.  I'm sure I'll be hearing from the other boys' coaches soon...

Here is a picture thought I am sharing...

I've had these unusual daisy-like flowers growing by the front porch previously.
I wonder if they'll come back?
And does anyone know what it is?

7 comments:

Felicity said...

Daylight savings is something I know NOTHING about - we don't have it here. Sounds confusing!!
I hope you all get over your colds too! Thank the Lord our family hasn't gone down with the usual change of season colds!!

leah said...

Hmm.. interesting flower. I know that some blanket flower (Gaillardia)have fused petal tubes like that..but I don't think I've seen blanket flowers with that coloration. It has the color of a purple coneflower (Echinacea)... I wonder if it is some interesting hybrid?

If you ever figure it out.. let us know!

leah said...

Aha! It IS an echinacea. Probably a hybrid similar to one named "All That Jazz" http://www.coneflower.com/2008/12/echinacea-all-that-jazz.html

I thought it looked like a coneflower, despite the fused petal tubes.

I'm proud of my little gardener self.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Thank you, Leah!

Felicity, you probably don't have anywhere near the variation in hours of daylight that we do, as you're closer to the equator.

In the depths of winter we get only about 8 hours of daylight. But in the summer, it's light from about 4:30am until 10pm. Well, twilight anyway.

Rachael Starke said...

Daylight savings is killing me. Truly. I picked the wrong week to get up much earlier to exercise, and now it's 8:30 and I'm dying.

And I think that flower is a prop from Avatar. Put it up on eBay and watch your kids' college fund take off. :)

The dB family said...

Daylight savings time is to put it lightly, torture :o). I like fall back, but not spring ahead. We sleep funny for days -- maybe even weeks.

I thought the flower was maybe an African daisy. Don't know how hardy they would be though. They're only an annual here. It is very pretty whatever it is.

Blessings!
Deborah

Tammy Lee Bradley said...

Thank you for sharing your daybook and life with us. I too have 3 boys and I had to giggle about the teeth. I have a great picture of my 3 boys where I photoshopped in teeth on my youngest. :)

A fellow daybooker, Tam.

http://bloggingbradleys.blogspot.com/