Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Day 1

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Day 1 was all about getting launched.  We hadn't planned any activities other than getting to our destination - Missoula - which looked to be about ten hours of driving.  But that takes eleven hours, you know, because you lose one.  If that makes any sense.

We surprised the boys with a quick stop in Spokane, since the weather was cool enough to enjoy the gondola ride across the river.  I've heard that on hot days the little cars turn into solar ovens... not fun.  But we hit it just right.  The boys saw on osprey fishing along the river, and I love the rock formation - columnar basalt (igneus).  You know why magma cools into columns?  As my Geology professor liked to say, "Joints relieve tension."


Of course, we had to swing by the Big Wagon for pictures...

... aren't they handsome?!

That 4:30 Go-Time made the day go faster in so many ways... we avoided Seattle traffic (though it was a Saturday, anyway), and we all dozed through miles and miles.

I did feel really bad about not setting up a meeting with Mr. and Mrs. Squirrel (his and hers), but I had no idea what time we'd reach Superior nor what "condition" we'd be in, so we stopped and took this photo to show that we were thinking of you!


Then we slid on down the road to Missoula and our less-than-fabulous hotel.  (Who knew they even still HAD double beds?  Would it kill them to get queens?)

A friend of ours from home lives near Missoula and met us for dinner with her adorable little men.
Meet Ean...

... and Eli, with mom Lori :D  Fun to see her again and meet her boys!

So, not such an exciting day to read about, but the boys loved the little gondola ride and we were all pleased to get such a smooth start the first day.

Day 1 Miles : 580

10 comments:

Cutzi said...

I'm just chuckling because Justin and I have slept in a full sized bed for 11 years now.. with narry a thought to change. ;-)

Lori said...

Double beds....cold here in Montana ya know? :)

The Squirrel said...

Heh. Like it woulda killed you to call? Heh.

:-)

Squirrel

Choate Family said...

Oh, we love our double bed! And, yes, your boys are handsome. Must be the great gene pool.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Who knew so many of you liked being so cozy?!

The funny thing about it being double beds the first night (and the room being TINY) is that most of us had slept during the drive... except Kerry.

After dinner I took the boys to the pool to blow off steam and when we came back, Kerry was asleep diagonally across one bed. We wedged a rollaway cot right in front of the door (into the room), Gunnar and I slept on the other bed (and he's a very aggressive snuggler, given the chance), and Wyatt brought in a sleeping bag and slept on the floor.

It was all rather a tight squeeze!

And Gene... ya gotta forgive me! At least we know we can get to your place in one looooooong day of driving!

And what's the news on your (potential?) new job?

The dB family said...

Nope, queen here. It just gets too hot in the summer for a double, but hmmm, if Joanna can stand it, I'm not sure what my problem is...

Sounds like a very productive first day. LOVE that wagon!!

Blessings!
Deborah

Crystal in Lynden said...

Oh man, you got to ride the Gondola - (hear me whining.) I'm so glad your mini van was a trooper and carried you safely through your adventures. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Crystal, I was remembering your vacation! You guys were SUCH troopers, persevering through several - ahem - difficulties.

leah said...

That looks like a promising start to a great vacation! The gondola ride was a great idea - it broke up the trip a little and was a happy surprise for the boys.

Leaving at 4:30 was probably a good idea - if the kids are sleeping on the road, everyone's a bit happier, lol! A lot of hotels around here have the two double bed situation. WIth only two (small) boys, it isn't much of an issue yet. I do wish they would put Queens into the rooms, though! Nolan often ends up in our bed (even with C-Pap, he only makes it to about 2-3am), and that is tight in a double!

Mrs. Squirrel said...

Gene showed me this post when you put it up, and I'm finally getting around to leaving a comment :-)

Glad you stopped by! I'm sure I was up to my ears (literally and figuratively) in my studies. I look forward to someday meeting all of you -- on this earth or otherwise!

God bless and Godspeed!
-J