Monday, October 10, 2011

Just A Tease...

Swagger Wagon, loaded for action.


We got the boys, the back packs, the duffels, the sleeping bags and pillows, the food, the camera, the maps...  We are locked and loaded.

Yes, I know, all that awesomeness is hard to take in one suburban, mini-van package, but there ya go.  The boys are ready to hit the road and log some miles.

Well, actually, they had hit the road and logged some miles.  Since 4:30 AM is not conducive for taking pics, this is at our first hotel in Missoula, MT. 

Yes, I did say 4:30 AM.  We had a lot of miles to go that first day and - oops! - forgot about that whole new-time-zone-lose-an-hour-when-you-head-east thing when I was planning, so an early start was a good thing. 

And the mini-van?  Laugh if you want, but I love my mini-van.  It's almost ten years old though, and has been having "issues" lately.  (Did I mention it speaks whale?)  So we were praying about that...

You know how when the Israelites wandered in the desert for forty years and their sandals did not wear out?  (Deuteronomy 29:5, in case you wondered.)  Well, that's kind of what I was praying about the van.  I know, I know, maybe that's reaching...  but let me tell you...

Not one hiccup.

Smooth sailing all the way.  Thank You, Lord.  And it was a looooooong way, let me tell you.  I estimated we'd do 5000 miles and we rolled in the driveway at 5104.  Yah.

We have a lot to be thankful for!  And I'll tell you all about it over the next few days ;D

8 comments:

The Squirrel said...

Wait... Missoula??? You drove through Superior on I-90 and didn't tell us???

Are you coming back this way?

Inquiring squirrels want to know...

Squirrel

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Nothing gets by you!

Well, except us... sorry! I'll explain tomorrow, gotta run off to rehearsal!

leah said...

That is a LONG trip! It sounds like a lot of fun - and I am glad the mini-van didn't experience any problems along the way. We have a Mazda 5 (sort of like a station wagon), but I would love to have a mini-van. We don't really NEED one, of course, but I love the extra room that a mini-van affords, especially for long car trips (we're planning a trip to Myrtle Beach next Spring).

I can't wait to hear all about it! I'm behind on blogs, lol - too busy with the boys lately!

melanie said...

5104. Wowsa.

God is good!

Felicity said...

I have the same van, and I'm impressed by how full you packed it!
(We're actually one seat short, and currently contemplating getting and 8-seater - but I do love my van!)

I did a conversion on the miles and it's over 8000km! That's some lot of driving!!

Ruby said...

It's packing for the homeward run that always challenges me.

Anonymous said...

I always love to look at Serenity (our van) when she's all loaded and nice and neat just before backing out for a long trip - then looking at her again upon arrival home . . . miles usually equals mess!

Merrilee Stevenson said...

Catching up on your blog, and realized why we haven't heard from you elsewhere online! Glad to hear you all arrived home safely. We are anticipating making a cross country trip next summer with five kids, from PA to WA and OR and back again. So I'm taking serious mental notes, and hope to learn what you did well and what you'd do differently.