Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 15

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Some days are just driving days... just getting from one area to another.  Getting from Utah across Nevada.  No plans, really, just driving.

And I thought it would be a plain, old, boring day, but turns out I have things to show you.

Who knew?

I like to get an early start.  The boys became expert and efficient packers on this trip.  They could have the van loaded and ready to go in minutes.  We were on the road before 7.



Look closely.  Can you see the antelope?  They just look like spots in the distance.



A closer view of another herd.



I was prepared for Nevada to be a whole lot of nothing, and was surprised by places like this.


Love the antler arch.  And if any of you are thinking who in their right mind hunts that much? those are probably mostly sheds.



Ha ha!  We celebrated our freedom every time we saw a yellow prison school bus.



Yes, right out the window of the van, and we didn't even stop.



We crossed Nevada on The Loneliest Road in America, Highway 50, which also just happens to be the route of the Pony Express.  Talk about legendary tough guys!  An 1860 recruiting ad in California read:

Wanted.  Young, skinny, wiry fellows not over 18.  Must be expert riders, willing to risk death daily.  Orphans preferred.

I read that one of them was eleven years old.  I also read that you can still see the ruins of one of the Pony Express Stations along Highway 50.  We pulled off at this kiosk and read all about it.



However, turns out the actual station was two or three miles up into those hills.  Hmmm, hiking four to six miles with the temp pushing 90 through snake-infested hills to see a pile of rocks...



We used the facilities and moved on.  And what is this, just across the highway?  The remains of a telegraph repeater station.  The Pony Express only went on for 19 months until it was replaced by the telegraph.



Nearing Fallon, we passed this Sand Mountain - two miles long and 600 feet high.  And swarming with ATVs.  We kept driving.



We did, however, stop to see these petroglyphs.  Somewhat cryptic.  Nothing like others I've seen.





Tate hit the jackpot in downtown Fallon - a cannon!  But no signage to explain it.



Are you wondering why we went to Fallon?  So am I.  Only because it was between Point A and Point B, and made the drive manageable.

But you know what was fabulous?


No, not the EconoLodge, though it was acceptable.  

THIS!  THIS was fabulous!  (I took the picture from our room.)



Because hello it was October first and we were soaking up the sun on a 90+ day and swimming in the pool in October!


And possibly we were gloating just a little bit as we wondered what everyone at home was doing.  Because October at home usually means three things:  cold, rain, and wind.  And we were in the hot sun, swimming in the pool!

I'll stop shouting now.

Also, we had pizza for dinner, which makes for very happy boys.

Day 15 Miles : 462          Total Miles : 3659

3 comments:

Felicity said...

Beautiful scenery!
And I like what you wrote about the bus... he he!

The dB family said...

You do realize that you are causing me to sin? I am suffering from serious envy! Traveling when others weren't was one of my favorite things about homeschooling. Swimming outdoors this time of year? So wonderful!!

I am once again in awe of God's magnificent creation!! What a spectacular vacation! I can't believe all the wildlife you saw. The rocks and their formations blow my mind. Who needs textbooks to learn when you can see it for yourself!?

Thank you again for sharing your trip with your readers! I've told Murray we really have to do this some time.

I hope Gunnar is feeling better soon. Prayers!

Blessings!
Deborah

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Sorry Deborah, but somebody I know has been to the Philippines AND Puerto Rico in the last year or so ;D

And Felicity, yah... we were cracking up at the buses.