Friday, October 16, 2009

Blitz-It Friday

One of the nicest things about blogging is meeting new friends. I've "met" several other moms of Deaf/HoH kids, and a lot of learning and encouragement goes back and forth :0)

I've "met" other friends with great ideas and fun humor. One of them blogs about homeschooling, family, life in general, and - something else that's near and dear to my heart - being organized. One of her tips is a Friday Blitz, and with not much school work to do today, the boys and I blitzed :0)

We started in their bedroom, which wasn't too bad, because I wanted their dressers cleaned off (mostly) and wanted a quick success to encourage us all. Here they are with their tidy dressers. Soccer trophies and models get to stay... for now.









This end of the room wasn't too bad either, but they've straightened up their beds and the tubs of stuff underneath.













Here's where we had our work cut out for us... the Family Room. They call it the play room, and you can see what happens after a busy week or two. Sometimes it gets so bad I don't even want to look in there.










Books, blankets, toys, CD's, games.... all in a heap.

















And so much stuff piled in the closet, and on the floor, that it was hard to put anything away properly.



















But when we all got down to it, it only took about a half an hour to get things organized. The futon is upright, with blankets folded...












... the book are back on the shelves, CD's neatly stacked by the player, and the games are in the cupboard...











... the books are all tidied up...

















... and I can go in the closet without a nervous breakdown...

















... all the way to the back corner, with the vacuum stowed after Wyatt went over the floor.


Hallelujah.

9 comments:

Jena Webber said...

Wow! Great job. I don't have a nervous breakdown from opening my closet, but if I were to schedule a nervous breakdown, I might crawl in it. LOL.

Hey, did your hubby make that futon couch? My hubby is a woodworker and made that same one. Just wondering? How did the kids like their first blitz? Did you tell them they were going to get to STINK it up?

My daughter is learning sign language for high school credit. She's coming by it so nicely. And Yes, I have met a true friend in you too!

The dB family said...

You wouldn't believe how timely your post is for me! I'm about at my wits end with the organizing -- or rather lack of it. First I must go to bed, and do photos all day tomorrow, but then. THEN! I will immerse myself in all things organizational -- and getting caught my blog reading too.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Deborah

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Deborah,

Your pics are always so beautiful, and your house always looks lovely :0) Of course, most of us don't post photos of our messes... most of the time.

Jena,

We bought the futon shortly after we were married.

I forgot to tell the kids to STINK! But they did great. In spite of being little mess-makers, they do like an orderly environment and cooperate pretty well with making it so. Of course, the nasty rainy weather helped reduce distractions. :0)

Julie

Ruby said...

Isn't it great to do before and after pics? Even if they don't get to the blog. Yours are great to see the work you accomplished. Can I confess, my messes are much messier, and if I'm going to have a break down I'll have it over something I'm more stressed out over! I just have one of those older, much loved but not so upkept houses that don't look so great even when I've had a big blitz! sigh....

Choate Family said...

How 'bout coming over here to blitz? I need some help getting these piles organized to take to the village. Just how many rolls of toilet paper does a family of six need for nine weeks, anyway?!

Christy said...

What a great blitz! I love that you have your boys involved.

The dB family said...

Thank you Julie! I'm sitting on some photos of the room I call "The Thorn in My Side." I'm hoping to show a before and after, but it seems the after may be a loooong time coming.

leah said...

Come over and blitz my house... PLEASE! :-P

That's a great idea, though- I need to go through the toys and fix our family room so it doesn't look like a bomb went off among all the Matchbox cars!

The Hibbard Family said...

Oooh - I like this!! I think we'll be implementing it very soon!