Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Storm Clouds

First snow on the hills around the lake.

The days are shorter and the nights darker. 

Summer nights, here, never seem to get completely dark.  A little bit of bluish twilight seems to hang on all night.  But no more.

A storm rolled in yesterday.  Well, it had been raining on and off all day, but around 5pm it got dark.  Really dark.  Rain, hail, thunder and lightning.  Tate's 5:30 soccer practice was - thankfully - cancelled.  Even if there hadn't been lightning, it was getting too dark to see.

As I drove several miles north, to a rehearsal, I finally got out from under it.  I didn't take the photo below, but it was a dramatic difference, like this:





But here's the weird thing...  the bottom of the cloud looked kind of like this:




Only a lot darker and nastier.  Yes, I turned that photo upside down on purpose!

5 comments:

Ruby said...

Looking ominous. Do you get blizzards? We don't even get snow so I am not familiar with the weather patterns but I've read my Little House. Plenty of blizzards there!

leah said...

Wow- you get some dramatic weather! Do you get tornadoes in your area? Thank goodness they canceled soccer practice, the boys would have been soaked, slipping on the grass in the dark, and the possibility of lightning... yikes!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Ruby,

Living right by the ocean, our temps are moderated and usually milder than out on the prairie, like in the Little House books. We do get snow storms occasionally, though.

Leah,

Tornadoes are pretty rare in Washington, and when they happen are usually small (F1 or F2). I was kind of wondering, when I saw those rolls on the bottom of the cloud, but it was raining too hard and too dark to really make out any detail! That pic I found was just the closest thing I could find to illustrate what I saw, as I didn't get any pics of my own.

The dB family said...

Yikes!! I'm glad soccer was canceled and that nothing major came out of that storm. It looks pretty ominous!

Blessings!
Deborah

Jena Webber said...

Wow! Interesting! Like the dark clouds when I can be INSIDE.