Friday, January 16, 2009

A whole lot more fun than "Wade's Ice Cubes"

Gunnar and I were reading last night. He chose the books.

First he read to me - "Hello, This is Your Penguin Speaking", nearly perfectly.

Then I read to him - "A Zoo in the Sky".












He finished by reading one of our favorite books to me, "Stand Tall, Lou Melon".

And I only had to help him with a very few words, like alongside, fumble-fingered and bucky-tooth beaver.

Not exactly first grade words :0)






Tomorrow, "Hamlet and the Enormous Chinese Dragon Kite".

Yes. The pig is named Hamlet.

3 comments:

leah said...

Those look like great books! We finally got the Very Hungry Caterpillar and the Mitten for the boys (thanks to the visiting Grandparents)!

The dB family said...

Would you care to come and teach my grade one student that it is okay to know how to read? We're still plugging away. I think she gets it, but it's just easier to have everyone else read to you.

Awesome job for your little guy!!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

We just love books. :0)

Of all the things I've wasted money on, I've never regretted buying books.

And the boys are all different. Wyatt came to me one day, before he even started kindergarten, and said, "Mom, I'd like to learn to read today." Zoom, off he went.

Tate struggled and struggled, and didn't really read until he was almost 8.

Now Gunnar, a 7-year-old 1st grader, is probably more in the middle of the curve.

And I still love The Very Hungry Caterpillar :0)