Monday, January 19, 2009

The Bunny

I mentioned below that the bunny is missing. And - unlike last time - we didn't find him enjoying having free run of Kerry's office. He's really missing.

And to make it worse, he didn't escape, he had to have been taken.

We were gone all day Sunday and came home after 8pm to see several police cars down the street, and prowling the neighborhood. Apparently there were two burglaries. I don't know if the bunny's disappearance is connected in any way. Certainly he's not valuable - not something someone would steal.

But if there were delinquents out making mischief (and burglarizing the neighbors), they might have just taken him out and tossed him. (He's not very clever. Completely defenseless. Easy pickings for a coyote or dog.) Or, if my theoretical delinquents had a cruel streak... we're not talking about that possibility.

Gunnar is heart-broken, and the older boys are sad, too.

6 comments:

The dB family said...

Oh no!!!! I hope you can find him back safe and sound! It is hard to lose a pet in any way.

Anonymous said...

That is so sad... (I'm actually sniffing here). Teens can be incredibly cruel today. Whether they let him out or stole him, I'm still very sorry for your loss! I've always had a soft spot for bunnies. They are one of God's creatures who happen to be at the bottom of the food chain, and I have always felt something special for the underdog -erm rabbit. I'm praying for your boys... that's hard on them too!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Wyatt and Tate are doing okay. The bunny was nearing the end of his natural lifespan, and they knew they wouldn't have him long anyway, but it's still hard not to know what happened to him.

Gunnar, however, cried again this morning. "Mom, I'm afraid that I'll never see Bartleby again." He even asked me about animals and heaven.

I just don't know about that. The Bible speaks of animals in heaven, but doesn't say they're the same ones from earth... our pets. Though I would love to think of Chloe being rewarded in heaven (!) I just don't know what to tell Gunnar about the bunny.

I have NOT shared all my concerns with them...

We may just use the power of distraction and get them another bunny. Soon.

Ambulance Mommy said...

Oh no!!! I'm sorry!!!!! i wish there was something I could do!

Kristen@nosmallthing said...

Oh, that really stinks. And "stinks" is not a strong enough term. I'm so sorry. It's hard knowing that he was taken, and not knowing why. Poor little thing.

leah said...

I'm so sorry about the bunny. I certainly hope he shows up again in due time, though it doesn't sound promising. I always think it is sad that some youth have their hearts hardened so young.