Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"wa-WAH!", from the Domestically Impaired

That's how Gunnar says voila!

Here's Luau Lulu...



This pic shows the colors better,





While this one shows the wrinkly, crinkly, quilty love.
















You can click on the pics to make them bigger... but you knew that.

It finished at 36" square, with shrinkage. The backing is a mottled red.

I'm pleased with it.

Honestly, I considered naming the blog "Domestically Impaired", but that name had been taken. I never learned to sew until after I was married. I had always wanted to learn to quilt "after the boys were all in school"... you know, when I'd have all that free time! (LOL)

And now we're homeschooling.

But I have my good friend Ginny to thank for dragging me to a short, introductory quilt class a couple of years ago. I'm still too intimidated to try anything much larger than a baby quilt, or lap quilt, but I love playing with the colors and patterns. Still keeping it very simple... because that's where I am :0)

5 comments:

The dB family said...

Lol! I am domestically impaired too. I also didn't learn to sew until after I was married. In fact, I've only been sewing for five years and have yet to learn how to quilt.

Your quilt looks AWESOME!! Love it!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

Deborah,

You're way ahead of me. I can't follow a pattern at all. And all that sewing lingo...

I thought "overcast" meant a cloudy day :0)

But quilting has its own vocabulary and different patterns.

Trouble for me it, I tend to get consumed by a project - hard for me to walk away and come back to it later, so I have to do things in spurts.

Julie

Kristen@nosmallthing said...

Oh, I love it!

I have these really big plans to make a baby quilt for each of my kids (for when they have their first baby, fingers crossed!) from their old clothes...I've saved all my girls dresses, and the boys denim, khakhi and corduroy stuff. So, like you, one of these days...when I have all that free time. :) Ha ha. I might as well just pay someone to do it.

Herding Grasshoppers said...

That's a great idea!

I've saved a bunch of my favorite baby outfits of the boys to - I hope - make a big quilt someday. I have visions of snuggling with my grandkids and saying, "Your Uncle Gunnar wore this to the beach when he was one, and sat their sucking the salt off the rocks", and such things.

I'm going to have to get a lot more skilled, to do that! It's really hard to use different kinds of fabrics in quilts - especially stretchy ones.

Still, save your favorites, and we'll find a way :0) !

leah said...

Beautiful! I actually have a sewing machine that I'm afraid to use. I might hurt someone! My grandmother has the jean pockets from all of her little boys (she had four boys) and intended to make a quilt someday. She still has them all, but never made the quilt. I thought that was a neat idea!