Saturday, June 20, 2009

Goose Bumps

To update the post below, about Gunnar's night-time adventures...

Last night was blessedly uneventful.

Kerry moved furniture in front of the front and back doors. This is sort of a safety dilemma. Not enough furniture to make it impossible to get out in an emergency, but enough to slow down a sleep-walking child, and maybe make some noise.

I tied a jingle bell around Gunnar's ankle. He was delighted.

I did hear a little jingling around 2:30am, but it was just a potty-break, and he was coherent and returned to bed.

BUT... there's more to the story!

I have a cousin (married, two kids) down near Seattle. She called me this morning and said, "I need parenting advice. Do any of your kids ever sleep-walk?"

Her youngest, about Gunnar's age, did THE EXACT SAME THING on THE EXACT SAME NIGHT! Got up in a deep sleep and walked right out the door of the house. (And my cousin did the same thing I did - slept with her the rest of the night, and piled furniture to block the doors the next night!)

Gives me goose-bumps, it does.

5 comments:

Denise Portis said...

My husband use to sleep walk, and says his sisters did too. After we were married a few years with kiddos, that eventually stopped. Nothing like exhaustion to keep a person in bed for 8 hours without nary a "step into dreamland"!

I've been thinking about you! That can be frightening!

Sleep walking is a common problem, believe it or not! You should get these inexpensive alarms for the house doors... http://www.tbotech.com/sleepwalker-alarm.htm

Denise

Anonymous said...

Woah, the same thing on the same night. Weird. Wonder what the deal is? Just weird.

Unknown said...

Oh, that's great. My brother used to sleep walk all the time. We never knew where we were going to find him. It was all pretty hilarious, actually. (Of course, that's coming from the sister's perspective, not the mom's.) :)

The dB family said...

That is... uncanny! Frighteningly so! How scary to wake up and find your child out in the driveway! I hope it's just a one time thing for both you and your cousin. Wow!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

So far we've had no repeats, from either kid :0)

Still, I know I'm sleeping lightly.

It is kind of funny... but it's probably one of those things that will be much funnier later. YEARS later. :o)