Friday, June 19, 2009

Jail break

I'm usually a pretty sound sleeper, but not last night... and good thing, too.

Sometime in the middle of the night I heard little footsteps and assumed they were headed for the bathroom, but came wide awake when they quickly pattered down the stairs. No lights came on and I waited for a disoriented voice to call me, but instead I heard the squeak-bang of the screen door!

"Kerry! Run! One of the kids just went out the back door!"

I got to the window in time to see Gunnar standing in the middle of the driveway. He had apparently headed for the (detached) garage, found the door locked, and was contemplating his next move.

I called to him, while Kerry got out the back door and found him.

He was sleep-walking and not making any sense, but - thankfully - not frightened.

I was!

If I hadn't heard him, who knows where he would've gone next?

He really was still asleep. He came inside, started to change his jammies (?) and wandered around the house, muttering to himself, for awhile until Kerry and I made him sleep between us the rest of the night.

He told me today that he thinks he was dreaming that it was the middle of the day and he thought we were out in the garage. (Kerry's office is out there and I sometimes go out to talk with him, so that would be reasonable.)

I'm really hoping there won't be a repeat performance tonight!


UPDATE, 10:15pm :
Tied a bell around his ankle, and put him to bed with earnest prayers for a peaceful night's sleep.

I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for You alone, O Lord,
make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:8

3 comments:

leah said...

How scary! Yikes- if it becomes a habitual thing you might need some sort of a locking baby gate... thank the Lord you were sleeping lightly last night!

Herding Grasshoppers said...

I told Gunnar I was going to put a bell on him tonight!

Anonymous said...

You are a genius at blogging things so I can really see it happening. I love your light side in the midst of the life around you.

Blessings!